Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'03 Suzuki LTA400 4x4 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Suzuki LTA400 4x4 Auto

Purchased this new - great bike. Have an '06 and '07 Suzuki as well.

Unfortunately, I have not used the Eiger as much and it sits. I have been able to get the bike started, but it chokes down and will die. If, when I feel it starting to die, I shake the bike to move the gas in the tank and lines, it will perk back up.

I have to assume that the fuel filter is potentially clogged. I'd like to drain the gas tank, clean/replace the fuel filter and perhaps do a full cleaning on the carb. Problem: I'm not the handiest person in the world. I'm more than willing to try, just not good at it.

Can you guys provide suggestions and instructions?

Thank you,

jbjc_98

Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

remove the seat, and the plastics that cover the gas tank. turn your fuel valve to OFF, and remove the fuel hose that runs to the carb. ther are straps usually that hold the tank in place, remove those and remove the tank. i dont like to waste gas, unless it smells heavilty of varnish, strain it for crap and poor it into your car.
wash your gas tank out with water a couple times, until your sure there is no trash in the tank.

change your fuel filter while your at it. when you get to the carb open it threw the bowl, at the bottom of the carb. dont strip the skrews, use some pb blaster. once you get the bottom off hose the internals down with a can of carb cleaner. make sure you get the jets well, the small brass skrews.

now it sounds like the float valve is clogged, this involves removeing the pin that holds the float to the carb itself. be careful to not loose this pin! sometimes you can get it with a pair of needlenose pliars, sometimes a tiny pick and a hammer are needed. but once you get the float removed there should be a valve that allows the bowl to fill with gass when the float goes down. carefullt take apart this valve, im betting ther is gunk in there, clean well.

i would also test the float while its out. just hold it underwater for a few seconds, then remove your hand. it should float, but still inspect for any water inside the float. if any water is inside replace the float.

i know this was long, but it should be everything you need. good luck

Old 11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the help. I'm at the ranch today and will go to work on that!