Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

95 quadrunner 4wd help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 quadrunner 4wd help

the bike was running a little rough so i rebuilt the carb and now it seems to be getting way too much fuel. wont run at all.

i have a diagram of the carb and everything seems to be put back together properly. any suggestions as to what i may have screwed up?

thanks

Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Learned this the hard way..."RUN" & "RES" is on, should ONLY allow gas to flow when vacuum is present. "PRI" is always on so a bad setting to leave your petcock on IF your needle/set not shutting off well because gas will keep flowing. Also bad to leave on "PRI" when transporting or towing. If the diaphragm is bad, you could get gas flowing into your intake through the diaphragm.

Is your plug wet/flooded? Check for good spark? Spark should be Blue and strong. If flooded, pull plug, ground secondary (spark plug wire) so that no stray sparks flying and crank motor over to dry cylinder. Put everything back together and try it out. If it still won't start, pull the plug again and check if it's wet again. If it is, pull diaphragm vac line. No gas should be present in that line. If you have gas, plug that line (both ends) and only use "PRI" because the "RUN" "RES" will not longer function properly because you plugged the vac line.

If no gas was present in the vac line and your plug was wet again, move on by temporarily plug the fuel line. Dry out the cylinder again and try starting it with the fuel line plugged. If it starts, your carb needle/seat is allowing fuel into the carb or float is stuck or not float not floating. Your motor won't run for very long but the residual fuel in the bowl should at least allow the motor to start.

Now, if it plug is still wet after plugging all the fuel lines, you might want to look in your airbox. I found over a quart of fuel in my airbox after leaving my petcock on "PRI". Apparently, fuel kept flowing, filled my motor and then overflowed into the airbox and my motor was flooding because it was sucking the gas out of the airbox.

Now if your plug was NOT wet or flooded and you have a good spark. You might not be getting gas to your carb or gas not getting into the carb. After taking carb apart, you need to fill the bowl the first time by setting the petcock to "PRI" for a minute before swithcing to "RUN". If it still won't start, check the fuel bowl drain to assure you have gas in the bowl. If gas drained out, you have gas in the carb and make sure it's gas and not water. I would then look to the choke. You could at this point prime the carb by carefully squirting a small amount of gas directly into the carb just to confirm that it will run but be very careful. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

the plug was soaked when I pulled it. the spark looked pretty faint when checked, but its a fairly new plug, maybe a few weeks old. I guess I could have fouled it out?

when i first put the carb on i had the line that comes out of the petcock thats not the main fuel line and the vacuum line reversed which leaked fuel all over the place. could that be part of my problems? it definitely got fuel into that vacuum line doing that.

i did get it to start a couple of times but it wouldnt run for very long and I couldnt get it to start back up again.

thank you for your advice. it is very much appreciated.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

No problemo...IF your plug no longer wet, I would check the carb's bowl drain. It's a small screw on the side of the bowl, near the bottom. It will allow you to drain water out of the bottom of the bowl or to confirm if there is gas in the bowl. Check that out.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

Also kind of sounds like the problem I was having, I kept getting tons of gas in the carb and at full throttle it wasn't very responsive, I found the problem, was my floats, I bent the little of metal that hands the needle down and solved it and haven't fouled another plug since. But be careful not to bend it too much or it dies at wide open throttle. Also about the problem that it would die and not start back up make sure there is a fresh plug when you adjust the floats and it should work.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

so I finally got around to messing with it last night. i plugged the vacuum line and she started right up and ran great.

now what do i need to do? replace that vacuum line? i traced it up to under the front of the handlebars and plugged into something up there. will i need to remove whatever its plugged into and make sure there is no fuel from there as well?

thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

No idea what that could be. Does have wires going to it? Or does it look like some sort of reservoir? If there are no wires going to the device, it may be some emission control? To catch excess fuel?

You could try simply plugging it and carefully running your ATV. Keep an eye out for problems with having it plugged up though...especially if it has wires going to it because it could be some control for say the cooling fan?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

after looking at parts diagrams I believe the vacuum line in question goes to the fuel pump

any suggestions?

should i just remove the line and make sure it is clear of fuel?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the "something" that the vac line plugs into pentagon shaped (five sided)? I don't have the same ATV as you so going by what I see online. If that is your fuel pump and it's not bolted to the motor, it must be vacuum actuated. If it is vacuum actuated, I would say that the diaphragm needs to be replaced. Maybe someone with the same model will jump in. What model is your Suzuki? I be Suzuki don't sell just the diaphragm...

And if that is your fuel pump, it won't run if you bypass it...

Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

its a 95 250cc 4wd quadrunner

im not positive on the shape, i need to take the plastics off so i can get a better look at it. it is definitely not bolted to the motor whatever it is.

it is whatever is connected to the end of the vacuum line for the diaphram on the carb.

plugging it up the bike runs great. hooking it up like it is supposed to be it just dumps a ton of fuel into the motor

Quick Reply: 95 quadrunner 4wd help