Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

pipe leakage

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe leakage

listen to the original post boys! he has a two stroke!!!!!!!! There will always be oil coming out your exhaust in a two stroke! Yes you have a leak in two places. your springs may be weak that hold the pipe to the cylinder or you may need a new flange, or you could seal it with some orange permatex, not how i would do it but it'll work. As for silencer to pipe theres grommets available thru aftermarket , or you could do the same there too. Cheap way, rubber hose that fits around the joint with a couple clamps will work, again not how i would do it. Two Strokes smoke and thats because they burn oil and gas at the same time, when your leaks are sealed you'll find that the oil that was leaking at joints now comes out the exit of the silencer. Its normal!!!!!!!!!!!! Also if everything is in working order your crankcase oil CAN NOT come out thru your exhaust! it'll come out an overflow and leak on the ground. The E.P.A. put a stop to the best quads ever made for a reason, POLLUTION. again, if your two stroke aint smokin, theres something wrong and u better be ready to get towed home

Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default pipe leakage

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Wrenchnalldatime

listen to the original post boys! he has a two stroke!!!!!!!! There will always be oil coming out your exhaust in a two stroke! Yes you have a leak in two places. your springs may be weak that hold the pipe to the cylinder or you may need a new flange, or you could seal it with some orange permatex, not how i would do it but it'll work. As for silencer to pipe theres grommets available thru aftermarket , or you could do the same there too. Cheap way, rubber hose that fits around the joint with a couple clamps will work, again not how i would do it. Two Strokes smoke and thats because they burn oil and gas at the same time, when your leaks are sealed you'll find that the oil that was leaking at joints now comes out the exit of the silencer. Its normal!!!!!!!!!!!! Also if everything is in working order your crankcase oil CAN NOT come out thru your exhaust! it'll come out an overflow and leak on the ground. The E.P.A. put a stop to the best quads ever made for a reason, POLLUTION. again, if your two stroke aint smokin, theres something wrong and u better be ready to get towed home</end quote></div>

100% right!! When gaskets or "O" rings are shot you'll actually see the oil that's in the pipe come out. If everything is sealed up good the majority of the oil in the headpipe is burned off, but what makes it to the back is absorbed by the silencer packing. Ever re-pack a 2-stroke silencer?? Better have the latex gloves & Brake-Kleen handy, 'cause there's gonna be mess. Unless of course the silencer to header gasket is shot, then you'll see it drip out there.

I seriously doubt there's a compression problem. Unless he's using a 20:1 mix with ****-poor oil to really gum things up, even a 32-40:1 mix with good oil will leave oil in the exhaust system. it's the nature of the beast.

I know the Permatex is a hillbilly fix, but it's easily available and it works. A new rubber joint is the real fix, but hey, in a pinch your hillbilly heater hose & clamps work too right?? LOL!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default pipe leakage

wow thanks alot guys, i use about a 32:1 ration for the gas, and use the recomended suzuki 2 stroke oil for her. so im not cheapin out anywhere. Its a brand new pipe on there so the spring holding the pipe is brand new, not sure what a flange is, for the pipe to silencer leak, i ordered the OEM rubber piece and copper tube thing that go around it...I put it on but it doenst really clamp down or nothin, I thought this rubber part was supposed to help clamp the two together but its just loosly sittin on there so... is there a point to this rubber piece? is this the rubber joint your talkin about catman? where can i get the high temp silicone stuff home depot, loowes? whats it called. Hey thanks alot people I new to this you guys are a big help

Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe leakage

The flange is the part that bolts to the engine cylinder & that the header pipe slips onto.

The rubber piece is what I was refering to, yes. It's still leaking with the new rubber joint??

High temp silicone, RTV or Permatex as it's commonly called is available at any auto-parts store, Wal-Mart, Farm & Fleet, etc.

I'm not sure if a Home Depot would have it. They should, I know the local Menards near me has it. Get yourself some & use it in conjunction with the new rubber joint.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default pipe leakage

ok the flange is brand new, the spring is brand new, the rubber peice is brand new, and yes its still leaking with the new parts on. the rubber peice isnt really helpin anything its loosly sitting on there, maybe it just doesnt fit my pipe right, once its on am i suppposeed to tighten it somehow or just put it on and thats that? its a fmf fatty pipe on it, really i just need to know how to properly put on the rubber peice, is there something i have to do with it once its on? Il get the silicone stuff and see what happens. so all this is pretty normal for a 2 stroke?thanks again

Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default pipe leakage

The rubber coupler should fit snug. If it's for the stock pipe & silencer, then it probably won't fit tight with an FMF. Use the RTV Ultra Copper/Orange with the coupler and leak will disappear.

Totally normal to see oil leakage if there are any leaks in the exhaust system. The head flange is the most common to see. The "O" rings around the flange take ALOT of heat abuse. If you see any oil leakage there, you'll know the "O" rings are shot.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default pipe leakage

alright well thanks alot, so il get the silicone for the rubber peice, does your rubber peice have that copper tube that came with it? As far as the flange its leaking from the bottom of the flange, so that means its the o rings? about how much is it to replace the rings?