Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New LT125 owner - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LT125 owner - few questions

I'm the proud new owner of a beat up 83 LT125. It sat, unused, for several years, but the seller claimed it ran fine when it was parked. I've never owned an atv or bike, so although I've worked on cars quite a bit, I've got lots of question.

I've done several searches through the forums and have not found the answers to any of these.

1) How do I start this thing? I put new gas in it and primed the carb to the point that gas was coming out of the overflow/vent, so I know gas is making it at least to the carb.

2) There is a bottom, right side of the carb, there is a nipple for a hose but no hose is connected. If I prime the carb to the point that fuel comes out of the vent tube (left side), fuel also starts dripping from this nipple. What is this nipple for; is there supposed to be a hose connected to it; if so, where does the hose go.

3) Next to the odometer there is a little post with where a **** obviously is supposed to be. What is this for? Is it supposed to turn? Or does it pull/push in and out?

4) The throttle lever only moves a little bit? Any tricks for loosening this thing up, or should I replace it?

That's it for now. More to follow, I'm sure.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

first off, welcome. the **** is the choke and it is a push pull. it sorta sounds like the cable to the carb may be sticking or else the carb itself is. if it has been sitting, you should take the carb off and go through it and clean it completely inside and out. there is also a vacuum line from the intake that should go down to the fuel pump located on the tank. make sure this line is ok and doesn't have any holes in it. check your spark plug and might as well check compression too with the plug out.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

if gas is coming out of the overflows, you definatley wanna pull the float bowl off and check out the inlet needle!

and the little hose barb on the bottom is supposed to be a bowl drain, but they always just end up being a leaky b!tch. what i usually do is i get a short (1in) piece of hose with a bolt shoved in one end and block it off with that.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

on this atv its ok for the fuel to come out the overflow if you prime it too much. but if its leaking any other time then your inlet needle is worn, dirty or the floats are out of adjustment