Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 help to close to summer to not be riding, atv keep cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 help to close to summer to not be riding, atv keep cutting off

TRYING TO EXPLAIN IN DETAIL::::: having problems with my z400, first off it was running great then i started noticing stuff it started with a tap in my motor like a ticking noise, i still don't know whats causing that i think i need a valve adjustment, then one day i was riding and a guy said can that thing go fast i said yeah i went up the road hit and it started going then it bogged like it wanted to cut off, but didn't i went about five hundred feet then it just cut off, i tried to start it back up but i just got a clicking noise from the ( the little box under the seat i think its called the soleniod), so they told me my starter was gone i took the starter off took it a loose the positive wire that runs to the starter in the inside was broke off i fixed it, the battery was dead from trying to crank it, went to push start it but if i put it in gear it rolls really hard and its a mother to push (i use to push start it by my self), when i get it up to speed where it would usaully crank the wheels just slide even on pavement its kind of like the clutch isn't all the way in, so i hooked it to my car to jump start it and it would crank right up no hesitation, but cut off in about 20 seconds, if i take the cables off real fast pull in the clutch and put it in first even with the clutch still held the z400 pulls forward real slow, if i take off i can ride for about 10 seconds just trying to go through the gears then it cuts off and want crank unless i jump it, if i don't jump it no energy will be on the battery not even my neutral light will come on thats how dead the battery is so i took the battery to autozone they told me my battery was completely dead with no cranking amps is that why my z400 want stay crunk or what plzz help if you know what could be the prob its summer and i want to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude..... I'm sure people would love to help you..... But what you've written is very convoluted.

I would suggest isolating each problem in theory and prose and try again. List things one-by-one so someone can try and re-create the problem in their head. I read it twice and I'm still not sure if you have a mechanical or electrical problem, or both.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok in short terms my motor ticks like a slapping noise, second it just dies after you crank it

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Not sure on the first issue. Second one could be something as simple as a kinked vent hose on the gas cap.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

is there a way you can you tube videos on here i thought i seen something about that
then i can show you

Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default you tube video

Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

so it can run? just real rough and only if skid started? first off you need to get a new battery, and when you try to start it the motor does turn over? if so does the engine it self make any clanking noises while being turned over? what year is the bike? my buddy ignored adjusting valves and stuff and over time his timing chain stretched and the vavles clearance was about at zero lol, he had a somewhat similar problem and it turned out one of the valves broke off and smashed the piston and pretty much ruined the head...hopefully something like this didnt happen to you.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile got new

Got a brand new battery from Battery plus about a week ago the motor used to turn over haven't tried with a new battery but have tried jumping it if i try with out jumping it the starter relay just clicks real fast when i put jumper cables to it the starter relay clicks once then i hear the starter motor turn and thats it no cranking noise or nonthing. and i just put a new wiring harness on it and voltage regulator on it, the bike is a 2005 suzuki ltz 400 when it was tick ing it was only when it was crunk got louder as i rev the engine.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

first thing i would check is the valve clearance and timing, get it set at TDC then see if its all lined up then get a Valve Lash tool to check your valve clearances to see if there in spec, you check the valves lash by inserting these little tabs that are on the lash tool that are different thicknesses between the rocker and the valve itself, start off at a real small thickness and keep going up untill theres a really small resistance when inserted between the rocker and valve, in not sure what the clearances are but if you have a manual or something you might be able to get the specs or maybe someone on here has them, if not try using google lol.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default checking the stator

to check the stator with my atv broke down the way it is can i still just turn it to the side and do it or do i need to drain the oil and put everything back together....

Quick Reply: z400 help to close to summer to not be riding, atv keep cutting off