Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 help to close to summer to not be riding, atv keep cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its been a while since you have changed the oil then id go ahead and drain it anyways then add new oil when your done, if not then it should be ok to tilt it on its right wheels i know i do it alot on my bike if i need to work on the stator side of the bike. but id definitely check to mark sure your timing marks line up and to see if the valve lashes are in spec and adjust them accordingly if not.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question took it to the shop

i took it to the shop and the mechanic haven't tore it down yet but he siad he thinks i might have dropped a valve what does that mean?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

awww man thats same thing i was thinking...basically means valve failure, either the valve head broke off or got bent or something...and usually when this happens it bangs up the combustion chamber resulting in needing a new head usually....hopefully it aint that bad.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question he broke it down

he said the only thing happen is my crank shaft locked up but yet hes telling me i need to get crank shaft, crank shaft bearings, timing chain, piston kit, oil filter, new spark plug, new gasket kit, he said the valves was good if the crank shaft locks up will you be able to move it cause i can move mine and the piston kit only had about 5 hours on it i can see buying every thing else but the piston was new and i just had it serviced plug had 5 hours on it, when i tore the bike apart the plug still looked new(i'm going to buy a plug anyway but) is this right should all this be messed up if the crank shaft locks up as hes saying, cause i don't know didley squat about fixing a car four wheeler dirt bike or any thing, can someone let me know before i get all these parts if i don't need them, i dont want to change them yet but i will if i need to,. just need advice from someone i'm not paying money to buy parts from or rebuild my bike and

P.S

beside that i only ride on weekends and i don't race should it all be messed up is what i'm saying??????????? THANXX.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

well when the crank locks up the extreme heat from it locking up can mess a few other parts up as well, also depending on how it locked up all the fragments of metal from it locking up like the thrust washers get pumped throughout the bike, which can tear up piston skirting and sometimes ruin the pump, sounds pretty good imo, you could get away with getting it going again for less money, but its best to just suck it up and do it right that way it will last, if it were me i would get a reusable oil filter, JE piston kit, D.I.D. timing chain, Cometic gasket kit, i would have to see how bad the piston was to determine whether or not i would use it again, also might be a good idea to hone the cylinder just in case its got some imperfections in it from the bottom end going out on it.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile thanks for the advice

i just wanted to know if the crankshaft locking could make the all that go bad it's somthing i wanted to do any way i will price those parts you said but while i got you here i was going to go with the je piston kit with the 13 comp ratiing but hten my boss told me about namura there way cheaper have you heard of them is it like get what you pay for fall a part or will they hold up

Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

eh those are cast pistons, there real light weight cast from india i think, but i dont really like em, they dont last as long as wiseco or JE, ive heard mixed reviews really some people say they dont take as much abuse as other pistons, and some use em and say tre still holding up fine, so imo its just better to play it safe and get a well known set, when those pistons finally go sometimes they shatter and can mess alot up, honestly if it was a more tame atv like a little trail bike or something then it shouldnt be to bad but a z400 is a somewhat high performance bike, the 13 comp piston might not run on pump gas you might have to check on that, if so then 12 comp will do just fine