Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, how is that new switch working out for ya?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Kenm
You have a very big house!
You horses patoot! That, my friend, is part of the Horse Show grounds in Lake Placid. Geeeeeeeze! LOL!

The switch is working out fine, but so have many of the other "fixes" until it decides to not start again. It may be my imagination, but the ATV seems to be missing more and more lately. When idling, you occasionally hear this little hiccup. Also, while driving, it seems to be doing a little backfire thing. I believe I told you about it seeming sluggish then suddenly running fine. I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the ethanol in the gas these days. Remember, this quad is 21 years old, and ethanol wasn't even a thought back then. I'm considering getting a couple gallons of premium for a higher octane. What's your take on this?

Jackie (still trying)

Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

If your spark is indeeed weak/intermittent, that would cause some irregualr firing and produce the hiccups/backfires you are describing.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by bashr52
If your spark is indeeed weak/intermittent, that would cause some irregualr firing and produce the hiccups/backfires you are describing.

Okay... what do I do now? I have replaced every electrical part on the bike, and checked out every wire. I just haven't a clue what to do next. IS there is anything I can do???

Suggestions... anyone????????
jackie

Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure you have done the simplest thing and replaced the plug? What about the magneto contacts itself? Have you or the dealer pulled the side cover and sanded any rust/oxidation off of the magnets for the magneto? Could even be a weak/intermittent mag.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by bashr52
I'm sure you have done the simplest thing and replaced the plug? What about the magneto contacts itself? Have you or the dealer pulled the side cover and sanded any rust/oxidation off of the magnets for the magneto? Could even be a weak/intermittent mag.
Yes, I have tried several different plugs.. all with the same results.

I would assume the magneto contacts would be fine. The dealer sent my magneto to Ricks in NH for a total rebuild. I would check it myself, but with this quad, the engine has to be taken out of the frame to get access to the magneto. (Tell me that wasn't a brilliant design! LOL!)

anything else??????
Jackie

Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

Here's today's deal:

Used the quad to deliver a few things to the neighbor. Drove it around a bit, let it idle, shut it off, started it up... did this over and over again. Then, kabooooom, it wouldn't start. Usually, if I keep trying it will eventually start up... but NOT this time. NADA, nothing, zilch, sooooooo.........

I did the test for the pick up coil again. I got a reading of infinity (.0L) The other night you said it should be between 100-200 ohms. That night I tersted it and it read 125.5 ohms, but the ATV was starting. Today is isn't firing at all.. Dead a a nail!

Is the pickup coil screwed up? Can it work sometimes, albeit poorly, and not work at all other times?

How do I prove the pick up coil is bad to the dealer that installed the stator and Ricks in NH who rebuilt it?

Jackie

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
Here's today's deal:

Used the quad to deliver a few things to the neighbor. Drove it around a bit, let it idle, shut it off, started it up... did this over and over again. Then, kabooooom, it wouldn't start. Usually, if I keep trying it will eventually start up... but NOT this time. NADA, nothing, zilch, sooooooo.........

I did the test for the pick up coil again. I got a reading of infinity (.0L) The other night you said it should be between 100-200 ohms. That night I tersted it and it read 125.5 ohms, but the ATV was starting. Today is isn't firing at all.. Dead a a nail!

Is the pickup coil screwed up? Can it work sometimes, albeit poorly, and not work at all other times?

How do I prove the pick up coil is bad to the dealer that installed the stator and Ricks in NH who rebuilt it?

Jackie
Well this is what I would do:

1. Redo the test to ensure that it was done properly. Black/yellow to Green/white on the harness side of the CDI connector.

2. Try to isolate the problem to the coil or wiring. In other words measure at the connector closest to the coil.

3. Carefully put test leads (don't touch them together, you could do one lead on each side of the connector) on pins (of wires listed above) at the CDI connector (with it plugged in) and measure voltage (AC) during cranking,(start/no start situations) and running. Record data.

4. Check in the green book and see if there is a spec for this voltage.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Kenm
Well this is what I would do:

1. Redo the test to ensure that it was done properly. Black/yellow to Green/white on the harness side of the CDI.

2. Try to isolate the problem to the coil or wiring. In other words measure at the connector closest to the coil.

3. Carefully put test leads (don't touch them together, you could do one lead on each side of the connector) on pins (of wires listed above) at the CDI connector (with it plugged in) and measure voltage (AC) during cranking,(start/no start situations) and running. Record data.

4. Check in the green book and see if there is a spec for this voltage.
1. I did the test several times with the same results, but will do it again tomorrow in case I was hallucinating during the test.

2. Okay... gotcha!

3. I'll try to do that in the morning.

4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ROTFLAMO!!! I spit coffee all over when I read this one! OMG, that was toooooo funny! LMAO!

Thanks for the laughs tonight Ken.... I needed that!
Jackie

Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

Oh, I almost forgot......

My Green book hasn't been delivered yet. It must be it is being delivered by a Suzuki LT-4WD, huh????? LOL!

Also, The ATV is, once again, in Mad Max of Thunderdome mode. I've got the time down to about 20 minutes for a complete strip down to the frame. (both front and rear!)

Jackie

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!