Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230 Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230 Carb Question

Sup fellas, Fixed my first quad and took it up to our cabin and brought back the other one.

Havin some trouble getting this thing to run now as well. Did the carb rebuild thing a few times. And its running just like the other one

Anyway just had a question,

The fuel/air mix needle screw, when taken out, you can see a passage way which leads to a teeny tiny pinhole air passage on the inside of the carb which I can get air to come out of when we blow air into it.

However I forgot when I did my other rebuild if air came out of the pilot jet hole on the backside of the carb as well (you know area with the 3 or 4 holes)

This one to me seems to be plugged with what looks like a ball bearing or something, I cant get air past it blowing from either way.

Should air be able to come through it easily? Im using a compressor

Steve0

Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

Noone? This diagram shows the pilot circuit that Im referring to. Notice the air/fuel screw port and the little port on the inside...but look at the opening on the right, thats what im referring to

Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at the carb article I wrote up in the Vault? Is your problem with it at idle, through the RPM range, or what? A basic answer to your question would be yes. That little port on the intake side of the carb is where the idle/low speed circuit gets the air to mix with the fuel from the bowl. You should be able to remove the mixture screw, blow air through the hole and have it come out 3 places. The intake side of the carb, into the bowl itself, and out that hole.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bashr52
Have you looked at the carb article I wrote up in the Vault? Is your problem with it at idle, through the RPM range, or what? A basic answer to your question would be yes. That little port on the intake side of the carb is where the idle/low speed circuit gets the air to mix with the fuel from the bowl. You should be able to remove the mixture screw, blow air through the hole and have it come out 3 places. The intake side of the carb, into the bowl itself, and out that hole.
I knew it! Thats the issue then, its not coming out the side

Old 09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

prob is at idle again, exactly as the other one.

The other time it was a broken fuel/air screw. This time Im not sure, but the screw's point aint broken off. I cant get compressed air to come out the pilot jet airway, it looks like there is a bearing or something stuck in there.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

or maybe im looking at the wrong jet hole..idk

looks like the one with the fitting in it is the high speed.

Man i dont know what im doing wrong here

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

There should be 3 holes in the front of your carb. Two along the bottom, one up higher on the side. The one on the bottom left should be for your slow speed, the right, the high speed. The one higher up the side is for the choke, its an air bypass. Any chance you can snap a pic of what you're looking at? Does the idle work with the choke on?

Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

There should be 3 holes in the front of your carb. Two along the bottom, one up higher on the side. The one on the bottom left should be for your slow speed, the right, the high speed. The one higher up the side is for the choke, its an air bypass. Any chance you can snap a pic of what you're looking at? Does the idle work with the choke on?
Same old story as the other quad, but this one I just cant seem to understand what is going on.

I took the carb off, removed all the brass fittings and the float, etc. I sprayed every hole with carb cleaner generously, and then I blew compressed air into everything.

I put in all new jets and this time made sure not to break the tip off of the air/fuel mix screw by overtightening like last time.

Its STILL running the same way, I dont see any clogged air passages (when blowing compressed air into the air/fuel mix screw hole, air shoots out the tiny passage inside the carb, and out the backside jet area so I know nothing it clogged like last time).

Its not making any sense, ive done everything exactly as the other and even turned the fuel/air screw and idle screw all the way in, and backed out two full turns as a starting point.

the quad will only start with the choke, and it sputters, sputters, wont rev when it gets hot with the choke on like its supposed to. It just runs (the carb kicks back and fourth every few seconds) then it dies. Ive tried putting the O ring on before the A/F screw spring, after the spring, etc.

Same exact issue as last time, but last time the screw was broke off inside it...this one is fine.

Not sure what im doing wrong...If I posted a video it would be running exactly as my other one did last time

Could the a/f screw make that much of a difference just to get the thing to run and idle? The carb is still popping back and fourth like a TICK TICK..weird....

Old 09-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

What mods have you done to the quad. It's starting to sound like you're low speed jet may be too small. Needle is in the middle slot?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer

What mods have you done to the quad. It's starting to sound like you're low speed jet may be too small. Needle is in the middle slot?

The quad(s) was bought new in 1993.

(For nostalgia I need to find the pic of me when I was 5 on my cousins buddies new quadsport posing, had to have been 1989!)

Anyway, only mod is the exhaust.

But heres the thing, the one quad ran screwed up but I fixed it, and then put the pipe on.

What we did was take the carb off the one we fixed and swapped it with the other quad and now that one runs fine. Took the other carb off, rebuilt like the other and threw it back on the quad at home.

So thats where im at. It only has a pipe on it but it should run great like we got it to before I swapped carbs.

Im going crazy trying to figure out what im doing wrong this time!

Its running poorly and wont idle..? Kinda hard to explain since the other time it was such an obvious fix.

Quick Reply: LT230 Carb Question