Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need help on 91 king quad (LT-F4WDX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on 91 king quad (LT-F4WDX)

I know this will probably sound dumb but, choke open up or down? Also, last time I ran it I put the fuel petcock in off position let it run for about 3 minutes or so and shut it off. The next time I got around to it, my cylinder was full of gas. What would possibly cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post need help on 91 king quad (LT - F4WDX )

Originally Posted by traval
I know this will probably sound dumb but, choke open up or down? Also, last time I ran it I put the fuel petcock in off position let it run for about 3 minutes or so and shut it off. The next time I got around to it, my cylinder was full of gas. What would possibly cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.
I had a 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad and if i'm not mistaken the down position choke is on and up is off , there was an arrow on the choke lever on the 88' to at least the 93' models ; but it was a little confusing at first to tell whitch direction was open and close !

The arrow was pointing to the right of the handle bars whitch was a little confusing to my cousin and myself at first , but i'm almost positive down was choke/on and up/choke/on ; i sold the 93' 300 KQ to my brother in november of 2005 so it's been awhile since i rode it .

I hope this help's you out , and welcome to the forums !

williebee.......

Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

I would double check to make sure that the petcock was in the off position.

This can happen if it's left on: YouTube - 1992 Suzuki Quad Runner 250

Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

On a 1998 Suzuki 250 down on the chock lever is on and up is off. There is no off position on the fuel petcock. Sideways is the prime position,used for cold start-up. A diaphram on the fuel petcock shuts off the fuel. Leaving it on prime lets fuel bypass the petcock and can fill the cylinder if the carb needle doesn't seat completely.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you all. On my petcock it says reserve on top, to the left it says off, and the bottom says on. So is the petcock bad? Or is it due to the vacuum on the pump that is causing this?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all. On my petcock it says reserve on top, to the left it says off, and the bottom says on. So is the petcock bad? Or is it due to the vacuum on the pump that is causing this?

Suzuki valves are labeled as "ON", "RES" (reserve) or "PRI" (prime). They don't have an off position. I bet if you look really close you'll see that what you think says "off" actually says "PRI". The prime is used as a direct gravity feed for hard starts. If left in the prime position it will tend to flood the carb.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jaybeecon55
Suzuki valves are labeled as "ON", "RES" (reserve) or "PRI" (prime). They don't have an off position. I bet if you look really close you'll see that what you think says "off" actually says "PRI". The prime is used as a direct gravity feed for hard starts. If left in the prime position it will tend to flood the carb.

The mechanic in this video disagrees:YouTube - 1992 Suzuki Quad Runner 250

Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

If you had the petcock in the off position. and your engine filled up with gas, then you have two problems: A bad petcock, and need carburetor work (see video).

If you are going to work on your quad then I would suggest you buy a repair manual such as a Clymer. 25$ delivered from Amazon.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you. To try to fix my problem I added an inline shutoff between the petcock and carburator. So far seems to be working. I just bought a manual for 1987 -1998 Suzuki LT-4WD on E-Bay for $20.00 shipped to my door. I have since changed the filter and oil, so far so good.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

Thank you. To try to fix my problem I added an inline shutoff between the petcock and carburator. So far seems to be working. I just bought a manual for 1987 -1998 Suzuki LT-4WD on E-Bay for $20.00 shipped to my door. I have since changed the filter and oil, so far so good.
Hey, you got the manual for my bike!!!

I would keep an eye on that carburetor though...

Quick Reply: need help on 91 king quad (LT-F4WDX)