Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt250r start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt250r start problem

hello every one im desperatly looking for some much needed help im ready to lite this thing on fire. i have an 86 lt250r that wont start it had low compresion so it got a new 72mm piston and rings has good spark timing marks are on point, key is not sheared of flywheel,has fresh gas ive done everything i could think of but all i get is a poof out the pipe, please please someone help sos need help!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like its you're carb

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

try dragging it around behind another bike in 3rd or second... play with different throttle positions and with or without choke... it should start eventually.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah we did drag it and did excactly what u said and it did start ran fine, idle fine but when i tried to start it the next day i couldnt,it wont start. being that she turned on and ran does this mean that all the electronics are in working order and therefor has to be a carb problem? thanks for the help i really do appreciate it

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by victork
sounds like its you're carb
hey thanks um,,, i got iit started by pulling it but the next day !@bam ! same thing no start with kick start, im starting to think the same thing (carb) any ideas?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

well my 86 250r does the EXACT SAME THING and it pisses me off to no end! im a mechanic myself and i honestly have no idea why it does it. it boggles my mind. it has good compression, spark, and carburation, and its not flooded. but yet it WILL NOT START with the kicker, no matter what. but yet, if i drag it around, it will start up and run like its 1986 all over again.

and you and i arent the only people on here that have this issue, numerous other people have brought it to my attention and we still have no idea haha.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by lt230sman
well my 86 250r does the EXACT SAME THING and it pisses me off to no end! im a mechanic myself and i honestly have no idea why it does it. it boggles my mind. it has good compression, spark, and carburation, and its not flooded. but yet it WILL NOT START with the kicker, no matter what. but yet, if i drag it around, it will start up and run like its 1986 all over again.

and you and i arent the only people on here that have this issue, numerous other people have brought it to my attention and we still have no idea haha.
WOW that sucks big time,ive also heard that from a few people but i found it hard to beleive, thats a dam shame i just put the quad together with some grafix and everythin looks really nice,but no start, theres something that has to be causing this ,maybe we should put our heads together and invent some kind of electric start for the lt we could probably make a ton of money lol...... hey im in central jersey where u at

Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heres how i start mine 92 lt 250 R also fresh motor ...hot or cold
I hold it wide open choke off kick it twice always goes if it doesnt let it sit 3-4-5 mins do the same i never choke mine works most of the time
hope that helps

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by dirtylt250r
Heres how i start mine 92 lt 250 R also fresh motor ...hot or cold
I hold it wide open choke off kick it twice always goes if it doesnt let it sit 3-4-5 mins do the same i never choke mine works most of the time
hope that helps
hey thanks for the tip! definatly sounds promising im going to give it a shot today,I'll get back to you and let u know if we have liftoff lol ((((((((((((((i have another 250r rolling chassis if anyone needs it )))))))))))))thanks again

Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

If you have good spark and you rebuilt ur top end (assuming u have good compression),I would still have to say carb and that poof u describe while trying to start also may indicate bad carb or carb setup.I dont think its ur main jet its my understanding that ur pilot(low)jet and maybe needle position affect start and bottom end and main jets for higher revs and speed

Quick Reply: lt250r start problem