Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTZ / KFX / DVX 400 question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ / KFX / DVX 400 question...

Hi!

Before I start, I know this is Suzuki's corner, but not much to be found on Arctic Cat's section. Please bear with me...

I'm looking at a dvx400, PEP +2" A-arms, nerf bars, HMF pipe and few other bits for around $2k. Still on original tires that look good. Poor sod is getting married and soon-to-be wife set ultimatum as "her" or "bike". She won.

He's throwing in a full kit worth $1k.

Any issues I should know of before I lump cash at the Black Hole of Calcutta?

Here's a pic of the scoot & gear @ wickedgear.co.za under classifieds section.

Cheers!

Benjamin

Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

What year is it? I don't know much on the dvx's. I think (correct me if im wrong) that the dvx is an automatic? You may or may not like this for a sport atv. I just bought a new 09 suzuki ltz400 and this thing is awosome. Plenty fast but still tons of bottom end for trails. I love it! But back to your question im not real faimilier with artic cats. Good luck

Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

the dvx 400 is the artic cats version of the ltz400 and the kfx 400 it is actually pretty bad *** its self i have an 04 and runs great they are manual trans. w/reverse and liquid cooled which is nice on the trails and in mud but they are only worth top end $1900 and thats excellent condition just watch what you bu!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

what year is it? if it is still stock tires and are in good shape it shouldn't have many hours on it. But it could still have very hard low hours LOL

dvx400 is the exact same as the ltz400 besides plastics and seat are differnet. (for those that don't know)

the 2003-2004 had a few problems. Mine's 2006 and I beat the **** out of it on occasion and it still holding up great (knock on wood).

Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

I'm back...

It's a late 2006.

Runs awesome and I'm happy with it, just the HMF pipe that's a bit noisy. But that is my dust-eater's issue! The PEP suspension set up is definately worth the expense, a few LTZ riders have taken her out and they're green with envy. Had offer for almost same as I spent for the bike just for the PEP and G Force rear axle, how's that for testimony to quality parts? For what it's worth, these used bikes [LTZ, KFX & Cat's] sell here in excess of $3k excl bolt on bits. So I think I done well here considering such.

Only gripe I have is that grit is caught up in the joins between the fenders and body. I've now stripped it all, re-assembled it and stuck some serious duct tape over the joins and underneath where the bolts join the pieces. This should help a bit? Also, the fact of wider suspension set up does not bode well with the narrow bodywork, get's a bit messy with the muddy trails we ride out on.

I heard that these machines need to have their valves adjusted every so often. I've had quotes from my local shop for around $ 120 excl shims, if needed.

Is it something I can do myself or shuoold I leave it to the Sharks? I'm good at swinging a wrench and have had plenty experience with 2t's: Blasters, KX's and Banshees. A few other too, not worth mentioning as they were Chinese junkers... Sold them before I got too attached!

Regards from a wintery and cold Jozi in South Africa, proud hosts of SWC 2010!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like you got a great deal!
Here's a link that should show the basic steps to valve adjustment (if it works).

Checking Valve Lash/changing Shims - Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums

Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

Great link, will save it. Looking at the work, I think that $ 120 is not bad considering the labour & tools needed. The shop owner also needs to eat and pay rent...

Thanks anyways, found a great PDF download at K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts. Covers the 2004 model, minor difference is that 2006 had oil pressure warning light whereas 2004 had water temp warning. Otherwise identical.

One thing, at what point should I consider this service? The bike starts first time when cold or hot. Never had an issue otherwise. She runs sweet as only a Z can!

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

a clear sign of needing valve adjustment is hard starting or popping back thru carb
also depends how much you ride we would ride alot and we would adjust two times a yr. we had had to replace all valves already they had stretched. $120 is going rate at most shops I really dont care to do it.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Trailblazer

Great, I'll hang onto my wallet and keep an eye on the symptoms.

Where are the days we rode our 2T's carelessly for yonks and abused them with gross abandon time to move on, I guess...