Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadrunner Stuck in Super Low...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadrunner Stuck in Super Low...HELP!

Just picked up what I believe is a 2001 250 4x4 Quadrunner (LTF250). Bike is need of some TLC as it has been sitting outside for a few years. Believe it or not I was able to get it going quite easily just by putting some good fuel in the tank and jumping it with a car battery.

Now here is the first issue, it only moves when the sub trans is in super low. It does not matter if it is in 4x2, 4x4, 4x4 lock or reverse, it will only move when in Superlow. When put into low or high range the engine will idle in forward gears but when throttle is applied it feels like the brakes are on and will not move. I can shift back into Superlow and it will move again. Have verified that the shifter cables are moving the linkage into the gearbox but am not sure why it will not move. Is something bent, bound or out of adjustment?

Anyone have a starting place? I have a shop manual but would like to get opinions before tearing into this thing.

Thank-you
Dave

Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Sounds like you might have something locked up in the drivetrain...like maybe the brakes.

A simple test is...Will it roll or will the wheels spin when it is in neutral? If not then your brakes may be seized up to where you only have enough power to make it turn when you are in low gear

Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

It will roll when in Neutral in Super Low, dont think it rolls when in high or low. Good point.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

if it rolls freely in neutral, high or low range, then it's not your brakes...and rolling freely would also preclude frozen or seized axle bearings.

My next guess would be the clutch

Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Need to clarify, there is nothing wrong with the brakes. When in Low or High range the quad will not move under its own power or roll when in neutral. When you rev it up it just slips the clutch and acts like your doing a brake torque. When shifted into Super Low I can ride around just fine in 4x4 or 4x2 and push it in neutral. Do not understand what may be bent or jammed.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like to me that your clutch is slipping.............remove the right rear wheel and find the clutch adjustment.......I think it is a 12mm nut with and threaded bolt sticking through it...loosen the 12mm nut and with a flat/straight blade screwdriver turn the bolt in until it stops(do not force it), now back it out 1 1/2 turns and lock the 12mm nut back down and reinstall the wheel, now try rideing it....let us know if this works!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

You might also remove the rod/cable from the shift lever, and try shifting by hand. The rod/cable might be bent or binding. It sounds like it is getting stuck being engaged in two gears at once. If that is not it, then it is problably a bad shift fork in the tranny. If I read right, I don't think its a clutch problem cause it should still roll in neutral in high range (when pushed) if the clutch was slipping.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back from a atv/boat repair shop ordering some parts for my 300 when the owner was talking about some common problems from lack of mainance and one sounded just like yours. He said that if the oil is not change enough on 250's that sludge will block the passage to the tranny, causing a gear to seize on the shaft causing the quad to only have low low range. The fix is to tear the tranny apart, remove the gear with a gear puller, clean the shaft with emery cloth and install a new gear.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by rdeeno
Just got back from a atv/boat repair shop ordering some parts for my 300 when the owner was talking about some common problems from lack of mainance and one sounded just like yours. He said that if the oil is not change enough on 250's that sludge will block the passage to the tranny, causing a gear to seize on the shaft causing the quad to only have low low range. The fix is to tear the tranny apart, remove the gear with a gear puller, clean the shaft with emery cloth and install a new gear.
Oh boy I hope not! This thing is definately lacking on maint., however for $250 I can put a few bones into this thing.

I have it apart as it is burning oil, cylinder and rings all look good, better check this out also.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

The 300 I have has been sitting for a while also. My oil rings are collapse. While you have yours apart, check the intake valve, 250/300's love to suck those up the hole. The dealer I am getting my parts from told me not to cut my valve seats, but to just lapped in my valves. I got factory rings, intake valve and an aftermarket top end gasket set for a little over 100 bucks.

Quick Reply: Quadrunner Stuck in Super Low...HELP!