Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How to clean quad, safely

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean quad, safely

Hey guys I was wondering how I would go about cleaning my quad (z400) safely. I've read several articles on the internet but just wanted to ask for your thoughts.

PS: I read about this wax or polish thing you use on your plastics its like a protective layer and keeps your plastics in top shape and makes it easier to clean next time, what is this?

Thanks,
-Tony

Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

For my fkx, I used a garden hose, a low pressure (cheap) power washer and washing mitt. The power washer still had the capabilities of doing damage to the quad, especially if the wrong tip is used. I avoided the chain and radiator with the power washer as that could damage the o-rings on the chain and fins on the radiator. It was a big help getting mud off from under quad itself and the fenders. The I'd use a bucket of soapy water and the wash mitt and clean the surfaces. Rinsed with the garden hose, and cleaned the radiator fins with the low pressure from the garden hose.

I've read where some use furniture polish, WD40 and other sprays to help keep mud from sticking to the plastic with very good success.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Range Rover

i use mothers car wax for my plastics and never have a promblem with it comeing off i dont use a pressure washer because it can hurt alot of things on it like scooter said your radiator or chain it could tear your seat and other stuff just use a water hose and wash with soapy water then put spray on wax or hand wax on the plastics

Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Brush, hose water, car wash, simple green and maybe a sponge. You can wax if you like. For easy cleaning spray wd-40 on your bike before you go out (not on your seat, plastics and tires) on anything you need to clean easily after your ride and most anything will hose right off. A pressure washer can put water into places it shouldn't be and cause damage.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I use a regular garden hose and tune the spray just down a bit from the full stream mode.. Alot of pressure can put water into your bearing and stuff I wouldnt even recommend aiming a garden hose on full stream right into where your bearings are and after changing a bunch of these out you can really see how easy it would be for water under some pressure to easily squeak in there.

I use whatever cheap *** car wash I can find and a wash mitt .. the only thing that I use that seems to really make the difference is WESLEYS BLECHE WHITE its a white wall cleaner sold at most auto stores.. I use that on all plastics that have a textured not glossy finish like the black fender flares on most hondas. I also use it on any and all rubber hoses I can see and the motor liberally..you spray that stuff on you can let it sit and spray off or you can lets it sit for like 5 mins then scrub a tiny bit and all that dirt you can never seem to get off is gone. The best part is your hoses get all shiny again and it takes the stains out of the plastics it even works great on your CV boots but BE CAREFUL this stuff is a pretty strong degreaser so dont blast it on moving parts AKA A-arm bushing areas,shock mounts,steering stem,chain+sprockets, in your wheel bearings LOL

after it all drys I use regular old Armorall and it puts that showroom sheen back on everything without looking too shiny..

I actually took about an hour the other day on my Rincon did everything I said above and Im not joking if this thing didnt have some gouges on the plastic it looked showroom

Ohhh and as for spraying WD40 on your plastic.. well if you do that and it turns out to be a very dusty day..dust just sticks to every molecule of that stuff... I did it once it was terrible.