Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, finished putting it all back together this morning and it still runs like ****! In neutral it will rev all day long and sounds normal, the idle is crap as I let go of throttle and it will still be reving for about 2 seconds then it will jump to idleing and like I just mentioned it tries to die when I let it idle for 5 seconds or more. When I try to put it in gear it just sputters and boggs like it used to before I put that new rectifier/regulator back on. I'm at a loss as it don't make sense how so much **** can go wrong with a four wheeler when I was riding the hell out of it back in late spring early summer. Don't know what the hell to do with it now, luckily there's an older guy with a shop about 25 miles from me and he charges 50 an hour for labor. Maybe this Friday he can put his expertise into it and help me out?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

Alright just composed a list of the things I've done to this atv and how much it has cost me total for everything I've done so far and it still isn't running! lol

1. Bought it for $750 not running back in March of 10
2. Needed new rings to get running so bought rings for $15 then paid someone $300 to put them in which was probably way too damn much that I paid him for something simple.
3. Bought new CDI box for $300 and $25 new ignition coil which the jackass that I paid to fix the atv didn't put on and paid him $100 for his labor over the weekend.
4. Bought new $100 sealed precharged battery the next morning after he brings it back to me after he said it would run good.
5. Bought new rectifier/regulator for $75 and it runs better than before at least.

So far a total of a whopping $1665 spent on this damn thing and am beginning to hate life now cause I could have bought very good running condition atv for this damn price easily. So therefore I'm starting to hate life. lol

Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

Went and put new gas and rained the old gas out of it today. When I was draining gas from petcock I noticed one of the ends that the fuel pump hose connects to was all the way unscrewed and popped right off when I barely pulled the hose. So I screwed it back on and put hose back on it and put new gas in it. Started it up and was actually able to drive it around. I sped around my property and my uncles property for a bit. Only problem now is that when I shift down when slowing it down it starts tryin to die and it sometimes sputters and dies when I put it in gear to start it going. But once I get it goin it runs good till like I just mentioned it almost dies when I slow it and shift back into lower gears. Think the carburetor just needs another cleaning and maybe float and jets need adjusting. Only problem is I don't know what the settings or specs should be set at for those things Oh yeah almost forgot, I pulled the sprak plug off and grounded it to the cylinder head and turned it over, the color was reddish orange of the spark. I've recently read it should be blue. So my cousin and me found some brand new spark plugs just to make sure and they plus couple others to his old dirtbike were blue spark. Could the spark plug be causing it to act up like that and make it run a little bad.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would first just try adjusting the idle mixture. By the way, is this thing a 300? I just kinda assume that.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Trailblazer

Yes this is a 300 (280cc) engine. I'm goin to get a new spark plug at wal-mart when I have time. I'll probably try messin with the idle some more but doubt it will help do anything to help it run better. I can get it to idle good now. Yesterday on the first start up I had choke half way on and I didn't have to keep givin it gas every couple seconds to keep it running. So I think the idle is good. When I barely hold throttle from 1/4 to half throttle it will putter and bog until I throw it into full throttle then it will rev loud and strong.

1. So I think my float is adjusted way off because of the random idle and revving sometimes in neutral.

2. Maybe pilot jet needs cleaning and adjusting cause isn't that the one for 1/4 to half throttle or something like that which may explain the sputtering at those throttle ends?

3. Then new spark plug cause the one in it now has orange spark which means its weak right and wandering if that could be the reason it will only run in high rpms it seems?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

if youre sure that youre pilot jet and passages are clean then it may be that you need a slightly bigger pilot jet. the pilot will controll idle speeds. before you go drilling your jet though check the pilot screw and it should be about 2 turns out.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Wow that could very well be the problem. When I put carb back together couple months ago I just turned all the jets in all the way as I figured they're supposed to be like that. I know it aint the size cause last spring and some of summer I drove it all the time with no fuel related problems. Ever since some electrical stuff started crapin out it seems everything else has. Lol it sucks.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Welp guys I made it to where it won't even start now, lol. Spark plug is very wet and black after I take it out now. What I guess I did to make it this way was I took carb apart again and cleaned it with brake cleaner which I did with last time. I took out the pilot jet, air pilot jet, and main jet and cleaned em and blew compressed air through them. All were cleaned now, also sprayed every hole out with brake cleaner.
I then precede to put it back together and I leave the air pilot jet, main jet, and pilot jet out about 1 1/2 turns out from base point for each one. I did not mess with the float bowl or diaphragmn or needle clips or anything else. Did I basically just make it extremely rich by leaving those jets out too much and if so which one should I correct and what should it be at? Thanks in advance for whoever can help me out on this problem now. This is my last attempt before I totally give up and just pay a local mechanic to figure it out and hopefully it isn't too expensive

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

You don't leave the jets lose, you tighten them good. Its the idle circuit screw, located under the carb on the intake manifold side. Its up in a hole. You tighten it (just knug) and back it off around 2 turns or so (2 complete 360's, not just 2 twist).

Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, lol I have it all jacked. Ill go mess with it tomorrow afternoon. One hing I've never mentioned, before I bought this atv I knew nothing about them. Hell I still no not much about cars except how to change tire and battery and simple stuff like that. Lol I'm kinda teaching myslef to be mechanically inclined. Most always say this is the best way to learn.

Quick Reply: 1996 Suzuki King Quad Problem