Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Anyone have Airdam Clutch work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to Adam at Airdam and he shipped out my clutch and rollers yesterday. Just waiting on him to send me the UPS tracking number.
My quad is sitting at my buddies garage right now with any luck I can get the bike back together and go for a spin this weekend.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Update spoke with Adam again he is sending the tracking number to me. My clutch sat for 2 days due to winter storms and is currenly in Kentucky (stupid winter storms)

On the bright side UPS will deliver on Monday.
Oh well this is a big football weekend *GO STEELERS* so I probably couldnt get out to ride anyway.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Ive had my clutch done with adams work for 2 years and no issues and it works awesome.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by savageman69
Ive had my clutch done with adams work for 2 years and no issues and it works awesome.
That is awsome. Glad to hear no issues.

********************************2009 500cc King Quad *****************
Ok clutch came at almost 5pm just in the nick of time. I rushed to my buddies house and put the clutch in.
Now I asked Adam at Airdam about my spring and if I needed an EPI natural since that is the only color available from EPI he told me on the secondary move the placement of the spring to the next hole in the fixed plate and this will duplicate the added tension. Well it doenst hurt to have a mechanic for a friend and he had already made a tool to do his Grizz so getting the spring right was no issue at all. The clutches went right in and we ran it with the cage on/cover off. It is amazing how simple yet complex the mechanics are..... Finished buttoning it up all told about 1 hour from start to finish to Inc the spring. Once that was done put the tie rod back on (thanks for pressing it Dan) and by this time it was dark. I only ran it up the block and back but that was enough to note a quicker pick up and more pull. I hope to get it out this week and see what it can do but that will depend on the tempature. I will have a good idea after a few miles as to the difference and will post my thoughts.

So far with 2/10th of a mile on the mod.
1. did puch it going up the road (up hill) at my buddies 3/4 to full throttle and looked at the spedo. Wow I was really quick up to about 30 and then it got a little flat. (stock) // This will take a little more checking to be sure.

2. There is more pull I am not sure if I will be doing wheelies on command but I think I may just be able to pull one now. (2 Hi - more to come)

3. Low gear - I load my bike with a 6 1/2 foot ramp. When I load I use 4low for control since 2 high is way too touchy. It should also be said I stand next to the truck and use the throttle to drive up on. (I am tall so this suits me)
The control in 4 low is very noticeable I could make it dance if I wanted to. Very smooth at loading with total control. Before I had control in 4 low but now there is a very noticeable difference. I barely touched the throttle and the bike slowly and evenly chuged right up the ramp into the truck bed. (VERY NICE)

Once I ride I can post some additional thoughts.
If anyone has some specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks Adam I think I am going to be a happy camper.
Thanks Jeff for the assistance pulling it apart and putting it together, I learned allot.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default first ride

Snow snow and more snow.
The white stuff was as deep as 18 inches in some spots so I had no real traction and had to ride in 4wd 90% of the time. I did make the mistake of going down a hill that I could not get up. (thank god for my winch and trees heavy enough to support my bike) The good news is I was able to notice my engine brake is doing a better job. I could see me having to use the throttle to speed up my decent under normal conditions.

I was out by myself today so I just putted around and because I had minimal traction I have no idea how much quicker the bike is. Because of my slow speed (6-10 mph) 4 high and 4 low felt about the same and I used both. With the snow and lack of traction there was little difference between the two.

I was really just paying attention to the amount of throttle I was using since I didnt want to overwork the vehicle.

Another thing I noticed is my bike sounds different to me now. I did replace the air filter with an UNI a few rides before I did the clutch and I noticed a little difference then but it seems louder now. Really just more aggressive. It could just be wishful thinking I will have to talk to my buddy to see if he noticed a difference when he did his clutch. Since this is my ride I dont know if anyone else would notice or not...

The good news is the vehicle ran fine with no issues and that is the most important thing. This snow will melt and turn to mud soon enough. I will post my thoughts when I can get a little traction and take some full throttle runs and hit some hills.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

More crappy weather here in the NE.
Going to go out with a group this Sunday and the weather report say 37 degrees.
We had warm weather and rain early in the week then some ice storms and more snow but the 18 inches that was there has to be mostly gone so I am really looking forward to hitting the trail and running some comparison tests and putting some thoughts here on the forum.

GO STEELERS
What a great day Getting to ride and watch my team play in the Super Bowl on the same day

Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2nd Ride

The second ride kicked major ***.
I went with 2 other guys on Sunday both on Grizzly's 550/700.
Allot of the snow melted and it was on average 4-6 inches deep so it just slowed down the take off quicks a little bit.

Boy what a difference we were all over the place woods/power lines/water/mud ect. I found that in the past having ridden these trails many times I would be pegging the throttle and never thinking twice. Sunday I found myself not pegging it and having a little left in the tank to achieve the same results.
That is a great feeling.
Since my machine could move (deep snow gone) I could tell the difference right away. Being a large person 6'5" 350lbs with heavy Kenda tires I am underpowered for my skill level. If I would have read the forum before buying I would have purchased a 750 to begin with.
That said the clutch kit has made a big difference and really woke the bike up. At the end of the day after making a big loop we were in a deep valley and following a stream. The gas company came in and cleared a path down the mountain. (you could not pay me enough to ride a dozer straight down those hills) Looking up from the bottom the snow covered hill looked like a huge ski run. We took a test run up 1/4 of the way turned around and once at the bottom I heard my buddy on his 550 take off. I watched him climb up that hill... Well not thinking (that is the best way to do these things) I pegged it and climbed the 250-300 yards to the top. The 1st 2/3rds were not bad but the final 1/3 was much steeper and all of it was covered in snow. I felt the bikes rear start to turn out a little and I was yelling at it "go you son of a bitch" hanging on with a giant grin. I looked down at the speedo and it said 27mph. When I got over the top all I could do was throw my arms in the air and yell at the top of my lungs. "FUC* YEAH CLUTCH KIT!"
When the 3rd guy cleared the hill he confirmed that I was moving pretty good and the rear was drifting right while he was watching from the bottom.

All I can say is it was the best 206 dollars I ever spent.

Here are some observations -
1. After climbing that hill we were crossing a road to the parking area and I did attempt a wheelie. The snow was gone but the hardpack gave way and the rear tires spun just as the front was starting to lift. I will say it is very likely.
2. The bike is just quicker in the mid range. We were on some secondary roads and I went right up to 50 much quicker that before. I didnt press it any further since it was cold out.
3. Speaking of quick when I had good traction I got up to trail speed very quickly.
4. A little throttle left, while a minor amount that I will just grow into and not notice after a few rides it is there.
5. The extra umph to get me up hills and curing that ***** in the throat feeling.

To anyone considering a mod a clutch kit is the best bang for your buck period.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh I almost forgot.
Engine braking was good. Decent over snow and ice can be tricky and it didn't slow us down at all we rode all our normal trails. I did find myself speeding up at times but appreciated the improvement.

Also I did forget to take my buddies bike on a quick run and I also forgot to ask if his bike sounded different to him? (he has the Mad Mike mod and an UNI filter as well) I know I noticed the added feeling of more noise yesterday and I liked it. As I mention earlier not so much loud but powerful.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Talked to my buddy with the 550 Mad Mike clutch today about my bike and if it sounded any louder?
Here is how he explained it. With the clutch kit the engine operates at higher rpms and it changes the harmonic pitch of the engine itself.
SO...
It isn't that the machine is louder it is running a little harder.

I pointed out I used about a 1/2 tank of fuel on Sunday and normally I would use around a 1/4 tank.

That is the trade off... More torque and power = less fuel economy.

I don't care if fuel is 10 bucks a gallon I wouldn't trade the power for anything.
Heading up that mountain across virgin snow with the back end pushing hard enough to get it sideways was AWESOME!

I cant wait to do it again when it is dry and in 2wd.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Still wet out with some soupy conditions.
Went out 2 weeks ago 19 degrees but clear. Warmed up a little and all the frost turned to muck...
Still haven't made it to the hill climb that started this journey yet but the year is young. So the video below is made possible by the Marcellus Shale and some unknown drilling company. This area was all trees 2 weeks prior to this ride and the pit is the width of a dozer blade and about 15 feet deep. Just like a circle cut in half on the inside. All the dirt that was in the ground is the pile in the background now. I am sure next time we see that area a well head will be in it's place.

Anyway no issues vehicle is running great and I figured my fuel economy to be around 17.88 miles per gallon so I have a safe range of about 80 miles. I guess it didn't effect my fuel economy as much as I thought. I have yet to full up from this ride and I covered just over 40 miles in total. I will figure out my economy and post again.

One other item of note: My prior high speed was 56mph (paved road), at the end of the day I was tired and took the gravel/dirt road back to the cars and hit 59 (soft uphill grade). When I realized I was going so fast I considered staying on the throttle to see how far it would go as I neared the crest but decided 59 was fast enough.

Anyway I am the 3rd person to hit the hole. Vid is only 45 seconds
YouTube - The Pit.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Airdam Clutch work?