Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Thinking about a King Quad 750

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
the new can-am's are pricy- but with the dealer incentives and factory rebates they are not as bad as you might think- I can roll out the door over here with a new 2010 outlander 800xt for not much more then a new axi.

as far as going from a renegade to a kq- there's quite a power difference, and I can tell you first hand, once you get used to that rotax "pop & go" it's hard to sit on anything else. I just sold my rene 800x and picked up an 09 850xp- I miss the rene, but the 850xp still has plenty of wheelie popping juice and a ton of other sweet features.

if you're comparing say... the 2011 polaris 850 xp with the 2011 axi, the xp has more ground clearance at 12" compared to the axi gc at only 10.6".

2011 Polaris Sportsman XP® 850 EPS ATVs

You really can't beat the can-am or the polaris in terms of features vs. price over the kq axi or a grizz-

for an extra $1000 or so- you get way more gc, bigger tires and a larger twin cylinder motor with the popo & the can-am compared to the axi's stock 25" tires, 10.6" of gc and the single cylinder motor. Not to mention the beefier stock axles and slim seat design with the popo or can-am.

2011 Can-Am Outlander™ 800R EFI ATVs

the new 850xp is actually less expensive then the new grizz, and the xp offers more gc and 164cc more then the grizz...

2011 Polaris Sportsman XP® 850 EPS ATVs

you really should try to get some seat time on any atv you plan on buying and compare each one- especially since you're considering dropping $9k +/- on a quad.
What extra features? 26" tires? Around here you can get the King for $2500 under both machines you mentioned that would easily coner a new set of tires.
I guess it all narrows down to what you use it for. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the King. I had always traded every two years but it's going on four years with the King. I am that satisfied. The Diff lock will get you out of most any situation and though I think the Polaris is a little smoother, I think you'll be pleased with the ride of the King. As far as it being a single cylinder is not an issue at all. Also remember the HP to weight ratio with the Polaris being quite a bit heavier than the King (94lbs). The ground clearance is usually measured at the center of the independent suspension...without weight added. The softer suspension will usually lower that number a little more.
Hope this helps!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBuckJ
What extra features?
because I don't feel like doing your homework for you- read up on each model- on the the recent xp engineering and upgrades over the sportsman and all other atv models- read articles, reviews and watch videos that demonstrate the improved features- like what's different between how the rear a-arms compress up & in on the xp keeping it straight and stable whereas your kq pushes the rear tires up & out making it a bit less stable. Read about tq, hp & power curve of the new xp twin 850 over your kq- then read up on why there's less bar deflection on the xp... while you're at it, check out how the xp shaved 4" off the seat width and increased the foot well area by positioning the motor sideways in the frame- when you're done with the xp, move on to the can-am and research the rotax, tti & spar features and what makes the tti so cutting edge- compare them to your kq- then with the grizz.... so on and so on- like I did / do every week for many hours... then you can answer your own question about "features" and why it's better to spend the extra $1k for the xp over the kq if you're buying new.

26" tires? Around here you can get the King for $2500 under both machines you mentioned that would easily coner a new set of tires.
upgraded 14" premium rims & tires, bigger engine, more gc and cutting edge engineering- don't know where you shop for atv's, but I just hit about a dozen dealers from east coast to the west coast, and the xp850 is less then $1k over the axi- so it's a bit more then just slapping a set of 26" sneakers on your axi...

I guess it all narrows down to what you use it for. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the King. I had always traded every two years but it's going on four years with the King. I am that satisfied.
He's coming off an 800 renegade- yea... I'm willing to bet he'll be ummmm, less then content.
That's great you've traded up every 2 years to a new kq, you've got lots of experience, riding kq's...... I've traded over 16 big bore atv's in the past 3 years- needless to say, I feel a bit qualified myself to offer an opinion on atv features...

As far as it being a single cylinder is not an issue at all.
IME- twin cylinders idle much smoother, pull harder, sound better, have better & smoother power curves and actually get better gas milage.
So, I guess if none of that is important to you, it's not an issue.

The ground clearance is usually measured at the center of the independent suspension...without weight added. The softer suspension will usually lower that number a little more.
gc is measured at the lowest point of the atv to the ground absent rider.
saying a "softer suspension" lowers that number is a moot point- because it's measured absent any rider- a heavy rider can lower the gc, more crap in the trunk can lower gc, more fuel in the tank can lower gc..... btw- the xp, grizz, can-am & bf shocks are fulley adjustable.

To wrap up my rant; there's nothing wrong with the axi- I have nothing against it at all- but I answered the op's question taking into account he's coming off a renegade 800- IMO- he'd be happier on a BF 750, Outty 800 or an xp850.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

because I don't feel like doing your homework for you- read up on each model- on the the recent xp engineering and upgrades over the sportsman and all other atv models- read articles, reviews and watch videos that demonstrate the improved features- like what's different between how the rear a-arms compress up & in on the xp keeping it straight and stable whereas your kq pushes the rear tires up & out making it a bit less stable. Read about tq, hp & power curve of the new xp twin 850 over your kq- then read up on why there's less bar deflection on the xp... while you're at it, check out how the xp shaved 4" off the seat width and increased the foot well area by positioning the motor sideways in the frame- when you're done with the xp, move on to the can-am and research the rotax, tti & spar features and what makes the tti so cutting edge- compare them to your kq- then with the grizz.... so on and so on- like I did / do every week for many hours... then you can answer your own question about "features" and why it's better to spend the extra $1k for the xp over the kq if you're buying new.

upgraded 14" premium rims & tires, bigger engine, more gc and cutting edge engineering- don't know where you shop for atv's, but I just hit about a dozen dealers from east coast to the west coast, and the xp850 is less then $1k over the axi- so it's a bit more then just slapping a set of 26" sneakers on your axi...

He's coming off an 800 renegade- yea... I'm willing to bet he'll be ummmm, less then content.
That's great you've traded up every 2 years to a new kq, you've got lots of experience, riding kq's...... I've traded over 16 big bore atv's in the past 3 years- needless to say, I feel a bit qualified myself to offer an opinion on atv features...

IME- twin cylinders idle much smoother, pull harder, sound better, have better & smoother power curves and actually get better gas milage.
So, I guess if none of that is important to you, it's not an issue.

gc is measured at the lowest point of the atv to the ground absent rider.
saying a "softer suspension" lowers that number is a moot point- because it's measured absent any rider- a heavy rider can lower the gc, more crap in the trunk can lower gc, more fuel in the tank can lower gc..... btw- the xp, grizz, can-am & bf shocks are fulley adjustable.

To wrap up my rant; there's nothing wrong with the axi- I have nothing against it at all- but I answered the op's question taking into account he's coming off a renegade 800- IMO- he'd be happier on a BF 750, Outty 800 or an xp850.
Wow..You sound like an infomercial for Polaris. I understand all the technical jargon above..all of that equates to nothing if the reliabilty and comfort to any particular driver isn't there.
I agree a step from the Can-Am to anything else is more than likely a step down. I am very defensive of the King I have because I have had many ATV's I have traded in. I have had every brand of ATV in the last 10 years except the above mentioned Can-Am. The King is the FIRST Suzuki I have had. I feel having the other ATV's two years has let me evaluate the pros and cons of each and I feel that the original question was answered. At no time did I say he wouldn't miss his Can-Am. I said I didn't believe he would be disappointed in the King. And the whole time I didn't say one brand was better than any other. The VDI ECU added to the King for instance will put you at or above the power comparison of most of the big bores. The reliabily I have had with the King has been second to none. Though I am not easy on my machines I do keep up the regular maintainence.
I like the one cylinder design of both the King and the Grizz though I must say I like the idea of the stock 14" rims on the Polaris.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, this thread was not meant to be a "which ATV is best" kind of thread. No doubt in my mind that Can Am is building the best ATVs these days. But, ... are they $4000 better than another brand ATV?

I've been buying the biggest and best 4x4 ATV every year for more than a decade now, and I've owned most of them (Grizzly, Brute Force, Sportsman, Rincon, Renegade, Outlander, etc). I used to do pretty much the same thing with trucks, but not on an every year basis. Well, in 2010 I bought a "different" truck. I'm a Dodge fan so I usually bought Ram trucks with the Laramie trim package. In 2010 I bought a Ram 3500 with the ST trim package, which is the bottom trim level. It has all the same drivetrain as the higher trim packages, and also has air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, auto headlights, cruise control, satelite radio, and the same in dash computer. It does not have the key fob or its features, or a power sliding rear window, and it does not have all the fancy trim. It doesn't have silver trim around the air vents in the dash, it doesn't have wood grain trim, and it doesn't have chrome mirrors or bumpers. BUT, ... IT COST $15,000 LESS than the same truck with the Laramie trim package. I have never been so satisfied with a truck in my life. It does absolutely everything I ask it to do, and every time I drive it I have a sense of satisfaction knowing that I didn't spend so much money on it ($38,990 out the door, instead of $55,000).

Well what if I could do the same thing with ATVs? Sure, the Can Am has more power, but how much difference is there between a 750 and an 800? A fair amount, but the 750 should still be pretty decent. I'm ok with another brand ATV having a half inch more ground clearance on the spec sheet. I'm ok with another brand of ATV having 26" tires. Is there that much difference in suspension? How much difference can there be in the even more important aspects, such as climbing, sidehilling, braking, etc?

The Renegade is my wife's ATV, and it would be replaced with a King Quad. She likes the blue color of the King Quad better than the yellow and black school bus theme of the Can Am.

So who else has a King Quad, and how good of a quad is it? Would you buy another one? It seems to have everything you need in a big bore ATV. Is it a better bargain?

Thanks.

DesertViper

Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't mean for it to get to the "comparison" level. I am the opposite of you in most cases. I haven't bought the top of the line stuff due to my finances. Due to that very same reason, I have looked for the best bargains in things. The King has been around almost unchanged since 2005. Yes that makes it a little boring but, to me, very reliable.
Whatever you choose, have fun with it! That's what's important.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Wow..You sound like an infomercial for Polaris. I understand all the technical jargon above..all of that equates to nothing if the reliabilty and comfort to any particular driver isn't there.
nope- you're off mark.

You opened you're first response challenging my comment about "features"

so I responded, explaining the "features" It wasn't a commercial, it was an answer to a question you asked, remember?

What extra features?

Anyone who actually researches the current features / upgrades polaris (or even can-am) has given their xp line and isn't impressed (even if you hate polaris or can-am) is just ignorant. It doesn't seem you've done enough research into the issue of feature vs. price to have an opinion that holds any weight. Hell (not H) polaris is known to be the most comfortable atv made- among one of the most reliable.

I am the least brand loyal person you'll ever meet- I'll jump from one model to another in a heart beat. But the KQ (or BF) simply just can't compete with the engineering, upgrades and features found on a new can-am or polaris. Just the suspension parts alone on the polaris & can-am make the suspension on the kq look like a toy- for example... just compare the axles!

It's not just about a bigger engine- it's about the money a manufacturer spends on research, design and engineering- so far, nothing is keeping up with polaris or can-am on either end.

Desertviper- buy what you want- it's your money, the atv connection is stuffed with knowledge, but you need to do some serious reading and research on your own and get some seat time on the new models if you really want to make an honest decision on which atv is best for you. If all you're concerned with is $$, then buy a chinese atv- you'll save thousands, but you might want to also invest in some aspirin and a nice tool set

Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I would like to add- I did get shown up yesterday by a new axi while I was attempting to climb a steep rocky hill- the axi made it, I rolled the xp- but only because I refused to destroy my 14" aluminum rims by wedging them in the rocks like the axi did to get up- I may have saved the rims, but I damaged the plastic and bent the bars a bit and I'm sure my good friend, the axi rider, won't be letting me live it down any time soon

Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I would like to add- I did get shown up yesterday by a new axi while I was attempting to climb a steep rocky hill- the axi made it, I rolled the xp- but only because I refused to destroy my 14" aluminum rims by wedging them in the rocks like the axi did to get up- I may have saved the rims, but I damaged the plastic and bent the bars a bit and I'm sure my good friend, the axi rider, won't be letting me live it down any time soon
I'm actually starting to feel bad about teasing you. I know I wanted to cry after I started breaking stuff on the King Quad so I guess you feel bad enough without any more ball busting. It was a pretty gentle rollover though so I'm sure it'll be better than new in no time.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by cncpro
I'm actually starting to feel bad about teasing you. I know I wanted to cry after I started breaking stuff on the King Quad so I guess you feel bad enough without any more ball busting. It was a pretty gentle rollover though so I'm sure it'll be better than new in no time.
ehhh- I can handle it- it's all good & fun

Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cncpro
Are you crying? There's no crying in ATV riding! JK Sounded better when Tom Hanks said it... Gentle and rollover don't go together with a Polaris. Kind of like gentle and elephant don't go together with a rolling elephant. They are heavy!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a King Quad 750