Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New Semi-Automatic King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Semi-Automatic King Quad

I am an old school guy who really does not like the idea of an automatic transmission. I have owned King Quads for the last 20 years, and I am ready to buy a new one. Problem is that the only manual shift King Quad has horrible rear suspension. I am not ready to give up independent rear suspension just to have a manual shift, and I really dont want to go with an automatic just to have it. Do I have any other choices here? Any suggestions either supporting the automatics or manuals? It is just hard for me to imagine my trail ATV having an automatic because I love the control a manual transmission gives you. I own a Ranger and if its hold back on hills is any indication what the new transmissions are like I may just buy an old school Suzuki and fix it up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

We have both autos and manuals and I am like you I do not like the auto's or I thought. For just putting around and taking it easy a auto is fine, but if you are gonna USE the quad for let's say hard work or anything beside putting around stay with the manual. Just. My 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Yamaha

If you are willing to trade brands yamaha makes the 400 big bear with the semi auto trans and the IRS...I have an 08 BB IRS with over 2200 miles on it and have really liked it...I can tell you that the trans is really low...meaning first gear tops out at about 10 mph (or less)...riding comfort is good...just a low geared tranny for work. I bought a new grizzly so as soon as we return from H-M, the Big Bear is going on the sale block...I have used it for plowing and playing...but I have have no use for two quads

Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think Honda makes a foot shift rancher. I am not sure if it has the independent suspension or the SRA.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 95 Wolverine new, and still have it, but lately I was looking to update and get liquid cooling and a lower geared tranny for yard and woods work. Like you, I didnt like the idea of belt drive, but saw few options left out there, I held off buying for years, then started reading up on the Yamaha Ultramatic belt drive,and talked to a lot of owners. I ended up buying a lightly used (567miles) 2008 Grizzly 700 with EPS, and I have to say, I love it, smooth riding, comfy seat, and the belt drive grabs right off the bottom and pulls nice through the power band, low range for slow work, good engine braking. I'm ashamed to say, the old Wolverine has been collecting dust in the back of the garage while I put miles on the Grizzly, I thought I would hate not having the ability to pick my gear, but the Ultramatic CVT takes care of that, so its just gas and go, so far I really like it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you use low range with a CVT transmission you will have plenty of power for heavy work. I put over 3000 miles on my belt before I changed it out due to a little bit of weather cracking. I've used it to haul firewood on the rack and in the rear dumpbox along with towing a 4x4x3 trailer full of wet wood up and down hills in NH and VT with 30-35 degree inclines. I've also pulled an industrial sized wood chipper up a hill that our trucks couldn't get enough traction on. A CVT belt in low will dig 4 holes in the ground without the belt braking. I've had it happen when I've tried to pull stuck cars out of the sand. Most modern quads have some system of engine braking to slow the ride downhill. Just some random thoughts.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

I was using a late '80s 230 that I have now let my Dad have. I bought a Honda Recon Spring '10. Great quad but I quickly realized my new hunting digs needed 4WD. Plus, I had it from May '10-Sep '10 and couldn't get the carb right, couldn't keep a battery charged and the enricher was useless I could not keep the thing started when cold. It doesn't get that cold in TN May-Sep

Bought a '10 Suz KQ 400. I wanted selectable 4WD. As few electronics as possible, as in everything in analog. Backup pull starter. Solid rear axle. Built in hitch. The 400 fit the bill perfectly.

This thing starts easily from cold to hot. Much more room than the Suz 230 and Recon. I didn't really want the auto, but that's what they gave me the screamin deal on.

Now I wouldn't trade the auto for anything. My son just turned 9. I don't take him trail riding 2up on my quad, but just getting to our hunting site, he rides with me. It was so hard to shift gears with his feet and my feet competing down there.

It pulls hills like it's walking up. I've had 2 does on the back rack and the thing didn't hardly squat, then my son and I on the seat and the blind and gun on the front rack.

I don't make a habit of it, but I pulled my bass boat small distances without it seeming to strain.

This quad is perfect for me. It's a hunting quad and yard work quad. I went with a zero turn mower a couple years ago and you can't use attachments so the quad fills in. I don't go joy riding. The closest thing to joy riding is when my son and I camp, we park the truck and take the quad as deep as we can.

The auto hasn't let me down at all.