Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

400 Eiger fuel or petcock problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Eiger fuel or petcock problem.

I'm needing a little help on a 400 eiger I'm trying to finish up on. It seems I'm not getting fuel when the petcock is on res or on. Heres what its doing. I prime the bike it starts up and is idleing perfect. It won't take gas though. It bogs bad and will die if i try to do it. If I turn it back to prime it will then start to rev semingly fine. I turn back to on or res it then revs for a second until the gas is used up in carb and bogs again. It will of course still idle fine becuase it doesn't take much fuel to idle. I have 2 different gas tanks with different petcocks and both seem to be doing the same thing. Neither petcock has anything coming out when you turn it to on or reserve, but pours out fine on prime. I asume this is the way it is supposed to do? I pulled the vacum hose that comes from the top of the petcock and goes into the other openig from the petcok and it is sucking when i remove it when the bike is running. It seems clear that I'm not getting fuel except on prime. I know that prime isn't for riding. What could be the problem and how exactly does the fuel setup on the petcock for Suzukis like this work?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are having the same issue I am, but are looking at it from a different angle.....

Here is a post I was about to make on it.....And I will make it a separate thread here as maybe our issues are different......

I think I have an idea what the issue is, but am looking for some thoughts....At least I hope this is my issue, as I've pulled the carb apart and cleaned it twice...

The problem....Quad starts choked. Can even let off the choke and it idles....But is bogs right out as soon as you hit the gas....The first time I pulled carb, cleaned it...Quad ran about 1000 feet then same thing, hit gas and bog out...Idled ok...I figured I sucked something into carb...So I replaced fuel filter and ripped it off for another cleaning...

Same thing after second rebuild. Ran a bit then right to bog out on throttle...

One thing I overlooked during both rebuilds was the choke cable...The boot over the 'pin' part that screws into the carb is ripped....The nut part is there but the cover boot rubber is ripped totally...I think I can glue it all back together and will try that today.

The only other thing I can think it is might be the air vent tube that plugs into the black fitting on the carb? Or maybe the vacume tube. Both tubes are clear, but maybe the vacume tube is haveing an issue from the petcock?

I'm hoping it is the choke cable thing......

Thanks,

Scott