Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt230e 1992

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt230e 1992

I have recently purchased a 1992 LT230E and it would start fine (even with one pull of the recoil starter) when it is above 60 degrees. How ever the colder it gets the more cranking it takes. I put in another spark plug and it got a bit better. Sometimes i wonder that it will not start at all now that it is colder. I put the left handlebar choke in the up position(so the tip is pointing to the sky, then pull out the choke on the carb, and need to crank, taking a break every 3-5 seconds, so i do not burn out the starter. it takes about 15-20 of these things and eventually it will start to sound like it is trying but not turning over on its own. eventually it will start but then if i try to throttle it abit, it bogs and stalls. So i need to have it idle with the choke out for about 3 minutes or so then i can push the choke in and it will be fine.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I was just at Wayne National Forest on their trail network for about 6 hours and did not have one issue after i started it up early in the morning. that was my first ATV riding experience on varied terrain and i am hooked!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Mudding!!

Too much mudding with it will do that!! I will contact you again when we ride at Wayne...they open on April 15th! Unfortunately, I have the plow on the grizz for the winter! What does the handlebar choke control that is different from the carb choke?
Jim

Oh yeah...once you get hooked your wallet will get thinner! You will get the itch for a newer/bigger/more options quad (at least that is what happened here)!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Choke

Can't remember exactly, i read it somewhere a while back, but the handlebar choke is a lighter amount and does not effect the throttle the same as the pull choke on the carb, which is to be used when it is below 45 degrees or something like that.

You are right Jim, I am looking for a bigger 4x4 quad, but it is not in the cards unless someone is willing to give one to me.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Does the choke actually function?

Have you checked that the choke is actually connected and working? If the choke is functioning like it is supposed to be, it really should not take much cranking at all regardless of temperature! If you leave the choke on, does the engine rev way up without using the throttle? I am sure the kids will be disappointed this winter if the quad won't start when there is snow on the ground!

Most people don't just give away their 4x4 quads!!
Jim

Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have not checked to see if it is connected, since up until it got cold, it seemed to work just fine, so another thing to do in my spare time, thanks for reminding me to check that, and yes the kids will be disappointed if it does not start in the winter.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

The colder the air gets outside, the more dense it becomes, which makes your air/fuel mixture leaner, which makes it harder to start. Youre choke is probably not adjusted correct. If you can somehow block almost all of the air flow going into the carburetor, it should fire right up. If youre air box is not cut up with holes, block the snorkel off with youre finger or anything for that matter. It should then fire up do to being choked.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, i will need to give it a try!