Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy?

hey guys, i'm new here but not new to atv's. i'm looking to buy for my son, he's about to turn 5 in january and this will be a bday deal. everyone around me is buying the fly-by-night 4atroke 4wheelers from wherever but i want something to last and preform, and i'm not about to pay 3k+ out the door for a new name brand 90cc from a dealer.

recently i've came across a 2006 suzuki lt80 i'm thinking of purchasing. looks to be in very good condition (8.5 out of 10 i'd say). bone stock, looks babied, runs very good. the owner is asking 900 but this also includes a brand new set of tires still in the box. its red which my son would love, but i'm wondering if i should buy this, buy a whatever for 6-1200, or just wait and not get him anything this year. when i was 5, i was driving an old yamaha 225 (couldnt even reach gears, just kicked it to 3rd and gave it hell.. lol).

any input would be appreciated. my other options are a 09 canam ds70 for 1350, 08 canam ds90 for 1500, or 2010 yamaha 90 raptor for 1800. sure canam has rev, but i just dont think it is the 4wheeler the lt80 is. what do yall think? thanks, justin

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
The correct machine is the one that fits the rider.
The LT80 will serve you well (if it fits)
The price is right.
The other machines listed are good (cept for the Yam...LMAO)

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot for the response lt80.. from what i read, you are the authority on the lt80 online.

i know there is alot said of matching atv to rider, but this was never took into account with us growing up. we live on a family farm and you drove whatever was around and ran. will not be used for racing or such, just a kid riding around on the farm here in fields, through ditches, and me trying to keep him out of the swamp (i'm sure) will be the extent of it. really just want something thats reliable to keep him outside much as possible. i will likely check out the lt80 to see what i think if its still around toward the end of the week. the canam 70 looks 9.5/10 but ive read they are a slug and i'm afraid i might have to do some mods to keep him happy with it as he progresses.

thanks again.

idk, looking again, maybe the ds70 would be a good choice for a first time rider. i dont want to scare him away from riding, and it looks to be a pretty safe/fun thing for a younger guy plus has the reverse. not sure what i should be looking at...

Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If the 70 is a 4 stroke, yes, they are sort of a dog and I don't know of any or many mods for the 4 strokes. I'm sure there could be options out there if needed.

Good luck on your decision. The smiles will be worth the effort.