Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help!! My Eiger is choking out....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! My Eiger is choking out....

Hi Guys! Newbie here....Learned lots of good info the past few days I've been browsing. Looking forward to learning much, much more....

So....I purchased an '07 Eiger Auto 4x4 this past week from a guy who never rode it hardly at all since he bought it new in '07. It just barely turned over 300 miles. My question is this: I just put a UNI filter on it and removed the spark arrestor in the muffler.....Now when I hit the throttle in Nuetral, it chokes out and sounds like it's gulping for air. Opened the Air box and it made it worse. THere is just not any power if I hit the throttle.....it will die unless I let off the throttle. However, If I build up from mid to full throttle SLOWLY it will keep up.....but not when it is hammered.

I've read the thread "Eiger jetting, stock is 122! WAY too lean" posted by AKSAFARI....wondering if some of that may be applicable here. Have not removed the carb yet....Will clipping the spring help??

So.....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?? Too Lean? Too Rich? Something else??
THanks in advance guys/gals!!

-Cowbee

Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Yea they are to lean from the factory, and any mod (including removing the spark arrestor) will just make it worse. I see a jet kit in your future

Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I live @ 4500' elevation and ride at that or higher...on up to about 8-9k feet sometimes. Which jet size, or jet kit, should I purchase with that in mind?? And how far out should my mixture screw be with this particular recommended jet?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

mixture screw at 2.5 turns out from lightly seated, jetting? see whats in it, go up 1 jet size at a time.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

Here's what I did
http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...questions.html

Try putting the choke on full an see if it helps, that's how I figured my quad was running lean. The spring clip won't help with the lean issue, it'll only give it quicker throttle response.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

How does the quad idle? What happens between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and then 1/2 to full throttle?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Cobee, It sounds like your too lean. Try to put chock on part way to richen it up some and see if it runs better. (ops, I see treveiger told you that.)

You need to see what you have in the carb for the main jet. One person on here stated he started with a 115 and it ran great for 7-11K feet but moved to a 122 (stock) for 5500-6000k feet. He stated it runs great at that setting. So that might help.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do I figure out which jet it has in it currently? I'm almost positive it has NOT been changed to anything different from the factory jet....I had to drill out the aluminum plug to get to the screw, so I don't think the kid I bought it from, or anyone else, has been into the carb at all. What size jet did they put in these in 2007?

If I put it on slight choke, it will help a little, but still when I punch the throttle there is some hesitation for about 1 second with Zero power, and almost dies unless I let off a little. But if I build slowly on the throttle, then it finds itself and takes off. That's what it did a day or two ago.....if I build slowly into the throttle it will keep up, but if I punch it, it almost dies unless I let off, but then it will respond after a couple seconds.

Does it still sound like it is lean then?? Is the jetting swap the only other thing I can do to remedy this at this point?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also, best place to buy jets? Anywhere online I can pick them up for a couple bucks?? ...rather than buy a whole "kit".

I would like to buy a couple larger size ones (if I can figure out which one it has in it as stock)...and go from there.

THanks!!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Your local cycle shop will have them for a few bucks a piece. Id start with cleaning the carb really good an looking through all the jets to make sure everything is clean. Do you have a inline fuel filter? If not get one because little debris can clogg the jets an mess up with throttle response. And I'd also look into a manual shut off valve cuz the eiger doesn't have one. 122 doesn't sound to bad for 4500, I'm running 128 at 1500 or so an might put my 132 in. With your big increase in elevation where you ride it might be hard to find a "perfect" size jet for both elevations just for a heads up.

Quick Reply: Help!! My Eiger is choking out....