Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s tires and everything else

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya that's a given though, threes a few things I'm sure you read that I have to give immediate attention to before considering up grades but maybe this summer I can get that stuff done as well. Man I got too many projects on the go lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth really depends on what you want out of the machine. If it is still rocking the stock exhaust then an upgrade may be in order. I added a slip on/removed the lid to mine back in the day. Got a lot of noise but the power increase was underwhelming. I would ride it for a bit to identify areas you would like to address. I know some nice, low profile tires do wonders for handling. I am not sure about the 250R shock upgrade. Seems like you would need an '85/86 shock, right? The '85/86 LT250R frame is a bit larger in most dimensions so it would surprise me if the a-arms would be a direct fit.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi the front a arms off the 250r have wider carriers then the 230s but are an inch and a half longer if you get them you will have to cut the carriers shorter but they do inprove the handling alot and the 250 cam fits right in just be sure to set your timing on the chain correctly if you need any tires or rims let me know i can get them for you machine and ship and pay wit paypal there is a two week delay on shipping do to turn around but they are all new factory ordered part and i can get custom sizes too but he was right the stock tires are 21x7x10 and i prefer the 20x10x9 rear on my machine also have 22x10x9 rears for long trail riding as they keep the speed up with a lower rpm i just had my 230s bored 40 over so its now like a 236 but it made a big diference and the rear swing bearing ? well the thing with them is there is no grease fittings to grease them on stock parts im adding on to mine but big ***** racing bearings are the way to go there even if you think there good save yourself the trouble and pull the bolt and clean and repack them at the least the stock bearings had very little and fail very fast i just changed mine and they were shot looked like they never had grease to start and not to be to long winded lol but if you have to replace them i will let you know if they are rusted in they are easier to cut out with a small dremel then to pull them but be carful not to hit the carrier or the seal lip lol and the last thing is the stator cover protector that stop the chain from hitting the case will not save the cover if the chain comes off the rear sprocket and binds there the two bolts that hold the protector will just break off so the rear swing being tight will save you the cost off a new stator cover and is worth putting in the 30 bucks fro new swing bearings and some grease hope this can help and happy riding

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey scooter, as far as I know its stock he says, being original owner ill take his word on it, did you notice an increase with the slip on and lid removed? Or not very much increase? And as far as noise are you talking about the intake sound of sucking air in? The shocks I would have to check if they are year specific, almost everyday every minute have free at work doing research on this quad but the mod list is limited being an older machine.

Hey Vintage! The wheels you are talking about are oem? I was looking at itp wheels with a different off set to help the widening, for the control arms the carrier bearing I assume is one of the a arm mounts and inserts? Cutting and welding isn't an issue at my end, just a hobbiest welder over here but have expiernce in heavy equipment and fabing up stupid little tid bits so I should be ok. And should is the word I want to emphasize on lol, with the rear axle bearings I'm sure I seen a grease nipple on the housing but I'm not 100% ill see Thursday after work when I get dropped off and ride her home, and the parts ordered so far are chain roller to make the tensioner, front sprocket because guychas new chain and rest sprocket, and rear pads. I should as you say replace the swinger and axle bearings just in case, that'll be in the next parts order in a couple more weeks I guess, does the 250r rear shock work good? I seen lots of guys use warrior rear shock

Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vintagerides2012
hi the front a arms off the 250r have wider carriers then the 230s but are an inch and a half longer if you get them you will have to cut the carriers shorter but they do inprove the handling alot and the 250 cam fits right in just be sure to set your timing on the chain correctly
Do you mean to say 250r or 250s a-arms? I've seen where people have put the 250s a-arms on, but not the 250r a-arms.

If the 250r a-arms will fit, that would be nice, since those parts are a lot easier to come by.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a slip on and took the lid off mine. That added a bit more power, but the exhaust was very loud and wasn't worth the noise to me. This was back in the late 80's though, and exhaust technology has come a LONG way. The hard part will be finding the right parts.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

J_mauld - I mean the 250r control arms, if the mounts need moving its not a problem, I'm equipped enough at home to do so.

Scooter - I guess ill have to see, read guys who put on new pipe as well notice a bit of a difference, so moreless if I remove air lid as well re jet is in order? Good news of the day is new front sprocket is in, chain roller is in, rear pads are in and found front 250r shocks and well paying tomorrow and hopefully be about a week when I get them

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by iroczu
J_mauld - I mean the 250r control arms, if the mounts need moving its not a problem, I'm equipped enough at home to do so.
Have you ordered the arms yet? There may be some differences in the knuckle as well.

Please take some pictures. I have a welder, but I'm self taught, so I'm a little hesitant to cut off the a-arm mounts and weld them back.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm waiting to hear back from a place who I'm ordering the shocks through and ifthey don't have ill just widen my control arms as I was reading in the 230s help forum, off top of my head I can't remember who it was that done it but it was awesome their write up and pictures illustrated, widening isn't a problem because steel is of unlimited access for free for me plus I may have the proper size tubing but i'll find out today when I bring the girl home, I'm self taught with the wire feed as well but took a basic stick course at a popular college here in manitoba. The illustration by the way was somewhere around page 465 roughly if you want to click through the stickied post on this forum under the suzuki topic. but other than that I'm waiting for a email weather this fellow has the control arms. The weather swinger I'd like to extend too but that may be out of my league to attempt unless I can find a sparen or one that's retrofitable to these machines. Only reason I'm wanting to do all this is to make it more stable for the gf since she has only maybe 2 hours riding time from her sisters fiancées 4x4 she thinks shes past the novice stage lol she won't be touching the raptor when I buy one in a couple of months... 3x the power and 1.5 x the quad = disaster

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

The LT250S swingarm is 1" longer. I have one, and everything measures out as if it will bolt on, but I haven't actually bolted it on yet.

I'm a bit jealous of your free metal supply! I'd be dangerous with that.

I built this for my son:

Quick Reply: lt230s tires and everything else