Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s tires and everything else

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt230s tires and everything else

hey everyone i'm new here but been reading lots of your guys posts over the past week and one thing i have not seen was tire size combinations for front and back, also does anyone know the stock sizes? any and all help would be greatly appreicated, also i've seen mixed top speeds on stock gearing and stock motors seen from 42-47 and 52-57? also i was researching cam upgrades are the hot cams stage one and megacycle worth the investment? and also how were results for you guys with full exhausts and too how about upgrading stock ait filter to a k&n or equivalent? so quick about me, my last quad was a mid 80's LT185 about 14 years ago, and a co worker has this for sale and getting it for $600 motor was redone 2 years ago, needs a few small things when i pick the new used girl up next thursday, my riding will be fairly straight forward for most, ditchs, pits, bush/old logging trails and of course a little mud but nothing extreme that's for sure! she's the first to my fleet once again and next in june is a 660R raptor, so that's about me guys

Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Cam wise, nothing beats an lt250s quadsport 1989-1990 camshaft in it. It is alot better than all the aftermarket cams out there. By the motor being re-done, was it fully re-done? Including new rod on the crank? These motors liked to destroy the stock rods very easily. Also, check for play in the swing-arm and rear axle, because this can cause the chain to be thrown into the case.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

For the rebuild I can find out as soon as I head in for coffee, the swing arm bearing I didn't check yet and the carrier bearing appeared ok when I rocked it back and fourth side to side but chain is tightened so guess ill have to check when I bring her home next week, and as far as the cam is it better performance than after market or is it just more cost effective? Mine being a 85 will the 89-90 fit?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with a tight chain bad carrier bearings should be evident when rocking the machine. Stock sizes were 21x7x10 front and 20x9x9or 20x10x9 rear I believe. Sticking with the 21" front and 20" rear is probably best for what you are looking to do.

As for performance upgrades, just remember it is a mild 229cc 4 stroke. You will see gains, but they may not be dramatic unless you really go all out and match parts, etc. Good luck with your Qsport, they are fun machines!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey scooter thanks for the information, i'm trying to price out tires at the moment and since i don't have the quad here i can't run out and check the size, for the mods i totally understand they won't be like going from the 4.3 in my s-10 to the built 350 lol! but for a little extra pep would be nice, since i should be sitting pretty by june to get my raptor this will be just the family/friend quad kind of thing, raptor will be my baby but i'm upto front sprocket it needs, but comes with a new rear and new chain also, and the swing arm and axle bearings i would be safe to say are in good shape i didn't notice any out of the ordinary when i shook it around, also do you think it would be a good idea to run about a ounce of sea foam with a tank of gas or would that be a little to diluted? because i'm driving it home from the guys place which is around 30-45 minute quad ride so figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to blow the carbon out of the ol' girl

togodair, the motor was completely rebuilt so i'm guessing it's been bored out since the guy said the kids seized it, thought it was his wife's friends but wasn't

Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Not sure on the seafoam, but if it is currently running well I don't think I would use it before a 30+minute ride home. For a decent priced tire that would serve that quad well, look into the GBC race rex. 6ply only for me. They tend to run a touch smaller diameter than Maxxis and ITP tires, but that is a plus on the lower hp machines imho.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

scooter, do you know why sport quads run a inch or two taller front tire than rear? i'm curious about it myself, and by the looks might be just trucking the quad home we sent the honda we have to the shop so doubling is a no no, on the 2011 Can-am ds250 kiddo has. what a week...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I have a few theories, but I wouldn't take this as fact. The rear tires are wider and shorter for better traction/handling. Larger rears would be heavier, have more unsprung wieght, be more susceptible to sidewall flex, and not generally needed if the machine is used where intended. On the other hand, a larger tire rolls over bumps, ruts etc. better. Since the front tire is much narrower, it can have a larger diameter and rim without a huge weight penalty. Really, the height difference is usually between 1-2" so it isn't much of a difference.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

makes sense scoot, i figured something along those lines were the soul solution, couple more days i bring the ol' girl home for a make over and and fun riding, do you know if it's worth upgrading the exhaust and and filter or even box lid removal? and since i'm not finding alot of information sorry for flooding you with all the quesitions. as you stated before it won't be an insane enhancement but is it worth spending the 300ish roughly on those upgrades? i'm for sure going to do the 250r shock swap though by the sounds it's a whole new beast for handling. also have you known or seen anyone reposition the control arms and shock mounts to widen one of these machines? also if you know, as to why the zuk 250R control arms will not fit these machines?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrading the exhaust and intake is a significant improvement on the LT230s. You will need to rejet the carb as well.

Quick Reply: lt230s tires and everything else