Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Looking to buy my first quad.....KQ 700

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy my first quad.....KQ 700

Hello everyone, I am brand new to the forums here. I am looking at buying my first quad. I have ridden a few times in the past on friends machines, but really seeing a need ( a tremendous want really) for one these days. My main uses will be for deer hunting, not getting any younger and getting deer out of the woods is harder every year. Plus I need something to plow a massive driveway (more like a small parking lot) with and would like to do some trail riding and early season scouting. I found one that I really like:
Name:  07SuzukiKQ700_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  07SuzukiKQ700_2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  181.7 KB

It is a 2007 Suzuki KQ 700. It has 2,251 miles on it. 4 stroke single cylinder DOHC engine, Front and rear independent double arm, oil damped suspension, hydraulic disc brakes,V-belt CVT transmission, ect. I won't bore you with other technical specs. This machine is at a local dealer and is stickered at $4275. Does this seem like a reasonable price for what it is?

I have not physically looked at it, plan to in a couple days. What are, if any, things I should look for in a used quad? Anything I should be aware of to look for good or bad?

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Trailblazer

Go to Kelley Blue book and look up the retail price, this is the dealer price. With that amout of miles I would take $500 off that price, and then when you see it in person judge if you need to take anymore off.
I think they have it priced too high, but it is before winter and it is deer season. Worst time to buy a utility 4x4.
I have had two a 05 and a 07, both really low miles under 700 when I bought them. Private party gave $4150 for the 07 with winch, and $3200 for the 05 with winch, bag and fuel jug.
Also remember the dealer is going to hit you with paperwork charge and tax.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

You should look at the wheel bearings, cv boots, steering linkage. Pull the seat and look for mud to see if it has been buried, pull the airbox cover and look for mud, check the oil. Basicly everything you do when buying a used truck. Bring a friend that knows atvs and do not trust the salesman. Also check the trade in value, as this is the most the dealer would have given for it from the previous owner. Good luck and remember there are thousands out there for sale. Do not rush things.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they are asking too much.
It is a fine machine and will plow snow great.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

VABrute, thanks for the info. I really don't have any friends who have quads except for one and I wouldn't say he's an expert by any means, but I appreciate your advise. I plan on looking at it on Wednesday.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,m Canadian and our used ATVs are priced much higher. A Used 2007 400 KQ sells for $4000 up here.

What I do like is it has stock tires and no winch which tells you the last guy was not into heavy mudding and it seems to have no dents in the rims. Plastics looks good and it has back and front bush guards.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok.....so I did a little research on Kelly Blue book for both trade in value and suggested retail value. Here is what I found: Trade in on this unit in good condition was $3,105. Suggested retail in Excellant condition was $4,520. So, If my research was accurate, the retail asking price of $4,275 is in the ball park right?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
I,m Canadian and our used ATVs are priced much higher. A Used 2007 400 KQ sells for $4000 up here.

What I do like is it has stock tires and no winch which tells you the last guy was not into heavy mudding and it seems to have no dents in the rims. Plastics looks good and it has back and front bush guards.
I was a little disappointed to find that it had no winch, but as you mentioned....maybe that's a good thing? I definately need a winch in it for what I plan on doing with it, such as adding a snow plow. Other units that I find in this same class on craigslist, ebay and other dealers is over the $5,000 range and up. The price on this one was what attracked me initially. But as far as knowledge on this issue, I am out of my league here. That is why I turned to this website to gain some info from those who know what they are talking about.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

If $3100 is trade that means they do not have anymore then $3,300 tops in it. That is if they did not have to fix anything major on it when it come in. At most they paid there labor guy to take the pressure washer to it and hopefully changed ALL the fluids and tuned it up. But most likely they just cleaned it up.
If those are the original tires then it must have been ridden fairly easy, but the previous owner could have taken the stock ones off and put aftermarkets on then traded it back in with stocks.
As far as quads go just use your best judgement, check everything. Like a truck some can go thousands of miles with no problems and others break every few hundred miles. Proper maintanance is key. Do not be afraid to check the filters. You will have to remove two plastic covers to check both the oil and air filter. At 1900 miles my 03 Suzuki Vinson needed, new brakes, and front wheel bearings. It was ridden fairly hard on trails and used around the house.
I would lowball the dealer, and see what happens. Pick a price you feel is fair and stay strong. Good luck, The kings are a nice tough ride.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am undecided as to what a fair price is? I know the dealer has to make money on it, that's why they are a dealer and why they are in business. But......If everything on it checks out ok, I thought $3800 or $3900 would be fair. But I would be willing to go as high as $4000, but OTD.....They eat tax and other fees.