Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KING QUAD MODIFICATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DON'T WANT TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE BY ASKING A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ASKED A MILLION TIMES BUT.. I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND I WAS WONDERING IF I ADDED A SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST,A DYNOJET KIT, AND A K&N FILTER TO MY 00 KING QUAD; WOULD I GET A NOTICABLE AMOUNT OF POWER GAIN OR WOULD I JUST HAVE SPENT ALOT OF MONEY FOR NOTHING. THE KING IS GREAT FOR WORK AND FOR FUN, BUT WHEN I GET TOGETHER WITH MY FRIENDS THEY TEND TO WALK AWAY FROM ME IN THE OPEN FEILDS AND STRAIGHTS. I UNDERSTAND IT IS JUST A 300 AND THESE WILL NOT DO MIRACES BUT I'M JUST TRYING TO CLOSE THE GAPS JUST A LITTLE. THANKS IN ADVANCE..

Old 03-25-2001, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

Hey 00KING,

I have a 00 King equipped as you are discussing. No it will not help in your application... There is no difference in speed on top end. I put a set of Vampires (one size bigger than stock) on my King, to make it more aggressive in the mud. Of course, I lost some engine power, due to turning the bigger, heavier tires.. I put the kit on mine and it brought back the low end-midrange power. If you put the kit on yours, it will make it climb steep hills alot faster. If you are familar with not making it up a steep, muddy, or loose hill, because of lack of wheel speed and momentum, then you will appreciate this. If you don't get into situations like that, you probably will not want to spend the money for the kit.. If you have any more questions, email me.. always eager to help if I can..

Old 03-25-2001, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS FOR THE HELP, I REALLY AM NOT LOOKING FOR MORE TOP SPEED BUT JUST A LITTLE MORE POWER. I JUST WOULD LIKE TO GET IT TO ACCELERATE A LITTLE QUICKER. AND A LITTLE MORE SNORT IN THE HARD PULLING IN THE MUD AND ON THE HILLS.

THANKS AGAIN....

Old 03-25-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive that Ecorman has these mods on his KQ to?Im not certain how he personally feels about them vs the $$ he spent on them.He put some tires and rims on that bad boy and they seemed to really work well vs the stock tires.I'd opt for tires and rims first.
Bill

Old 03-26-2001, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, yes you do know how I feel about the pipe and carb kit, Bill. I think it was worth the cost for me to get a little more power at the bottom. I didn't buy wheels and tires first because it makes little sense to dump the existing tires and wheels ($$$) for a new set that's going to get you-- WHAT! Faster? Through the mud better? Up the hill? Maybe... You spend less money on pipe and carb kit and hopefully, notice a difference in performance as did I. Granted, not a great deal of power is going to come from the KQ by simply bolting on some parts but it has it's stubborn attitude about earth moving situations with or without a kit and new tires.
Yeah,
Chuck

Old 03-26-2001, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

Chuck,
you know I have never been a fan of the stock tires on a KQ.In fact,I think they probably have some of the worst traction of any stock tires out there today.You can have all the extra power you want from the pipe and carb kit,but if the stock tires dont find traction,its useless.Ask yourself one question?Do you need the traction for hill climbing,mudding,and getting thru the deep snow more than the very little gain you acheive thru your pipe carb kit?[Remember,you got smoked by a little 229cc Recon the other day]

I personally would be installing a new set of tires first.Im not real impressed with the performance gains that the pipe and carb kit give you.

Now lets continue this pipe conversation.My quad is a 2 stroker,and im not real impressed with my gains from the pipe,airbox mod,reeds, and carb job either.I gained about a 3 quad jump in time up to 40mph.I was expecting more.

Now I have a few more things up my sleeve that im going to try with the Xplorer,namely clutching.Lets hope that makes my impression a little better?

Old 03-26-2001, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Cool down Bill! I didn't say the carb kit and pipe gives anybody all the power they want. I said, it's not as expensive to purchase those items and install them to get a little difference in power. Remember Bill, tires are not going to guarantee you, you won't get stuck. I pulled you out in the past too. And I did it with those tires you love to hate. Yes, the Recon and little Ronnie cleaned my clock on the trail. But you don't really think I was hoping to beat anybody out there in a race to the finish line, do you? Also Bill, (don't you get huffy) it was me who maneuvered the Recon, across that hole, in spite of the two wheel drive and the "not so aggressive tires." You know Bill, with this race thing going on with you, you may have to give up the Polaris, for a DS650... Your 'ol buddy,
Chuck
PS. I'll pull you out again, if need be...

Old 03-26-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

My only point is I personally feel like the pipe and rejeting is a serious waste of money on a KQ .There is only so much you can squeeze out of a 280cc 4 stroke engine.I think for the approx 250 dollars someone spends on a pipe and re-jetting that it could of been better used on tires.Tires make a much BIGGER differance than a pipe does on a KQ.

My brother John has never for one moment regretted getting tires for his KQ,and he wont even think of engine mods[pipe and re-jet] on the KQ because they are simply not very effective for the money you have to spend on them.The engine mods make very little noticable differance on a KQ.Now take and put a good set of tires on a KQ and you will see a WORLD of differance in TRACTION. Dont take my word for it Chuck,ask anyone who has tried a pipe mod on a KQ,they would'nt do it again.

Yah,you have pulled me out once with the KQ and the stock tires,but if my memory serves me correctly,im way ahead of you in the who pulled out who the most catagorie?

I was once stuck so bad on my Sportsman,bro Johns KQ and his stock tires would'nt budge me,they just sat there and spun.Took a full size Land Rover to pull me out.

Now it may sound like im picking on a KQ,but I even know guys that piped their 500cc Sportsmans and wished they did'nt.I talk to guys all day long at the Mounds,certain things just dont fair very well on certain quads.

Now whats up with this DS 650 and me owning one or my hang ups on racing?I'll never own anything except a 4x4 quad for my own personal use,and currently,the Xplorer is the fastest utility ATV on the market.You cannot make a speed comparison between a 4x4 utility ATV and a true racer.Put that same racer in the mud with me and see what I do to it!

Anyways,my ONLY point is that I personally dont feel like piping a KQ makes very much of a performance differance.

New tires make a world of differance,

Now go do the right thing and HUG YOUR TIRES,LOL
Bill

Old 03-27-2001, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

MOre traction means more aggression. That means more engine power to pull the aggressive tires through the mud. I got swampers on the rear of mine and my engine is bored 50 0ver. It turns them fine but until i did that in the sticky mud my tires wouldn't turn unless i put in low or super low giving me yes more power but less momentum to go through the mud. Now on thursday i ordered the K&N power kit hoping to get a little more outta my quad. Just thought i would share my input i could be wrong though.

Old 03-27-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Honda4ever,
You are bored 50 over.Thats a big gain and I agree that a pipe and re-jet would do you some justice.But to JUST install a pipe and re-jet on a 280cc quad does very little for performance.So little that I hardly think you could feel much differance between that and stock.

I would go for it,it should make a noticable improvement,
Bill

Quick Reply: KING QUAD MODIFICATIONS