Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230s very very weak spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt230s very very weak spark

ok so i have an 87 suzuki lt230 chain driven four wheeler. i picked this bike up a week ago for a couple hundred bucks and was told it had no spark. got it home verified it had no spark, i noticed right away the spark plug wire was almost broke in 2 so naturally i went ahead and replaced it with a new coil and wire. hoped that would fix it which it didnt. so next i checked the resistance of the pickup coil i got a resistance of 110 ohms. which should be within specs atleast the ones i am going off of. Next i checked the resistance of the primary coil and i have a resistance of 212 ohms which is within specs. so from there i checked continuity across both the pick up coil connector and the primary coil connector both have .03 to .06 ohms across the connector. next i checked for continuity from the cdi connector to the positive side of the ignition coil, i have continuity thru the cdi box. then i decided to check continuity from the negative side of the coil to the connector on the other side of the cdi box and i have no continuity.

also if i kick the engine over while holding the end of the spark plug wire i can feel current but its no where near enough to shock me like i would expect it to do.

is there anything else i should check before condemning the cdi box? do i have more than one problem? im new to working on small gas engines and atvs in general. any help is greatly appreciated. i have checked all i know to check and i think its the cdi but dont wanna spend $150 on a part i may not need.

also the bike has a goki electric start so the stator is a slightly different setup.