Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1983 Suzuki LT125 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Suzuki LT125 Project

As titled, this is a total project, has 3k miles on it, cleaned the carb several times, (Gotta love taking those things apart 10 times before getting them right.)

Engine fires with starter fluid, but I noticed the compression just didn't seem right. Engine was Seized when I got it, UN-seized it using some transmisson fluid, drained the oil out and sorta flushed it a little.

Engine will not fire on gas, only starter fluid, I think the rings are bad because when I have the oil cap open, a lot of air comes out, and when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole, it doesn't really "blow it off" it just sorta moves it.

Anyone know of a way to work the rings loose without taking the top end apart? Going to buy a service manual for it as soon as I get the extra cash. Just want to see if I can get it running before that without putting much into it, then look into re-building the engine on it to keep those memories and keep the quad for my daughter.

Thanks everyone! Will update progress when its achieved.

Also the plastics are in pretty good shape! not all smashed up like usual. I figure I can put 250 or so into it and have a reliable trail machine/river bed runner.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has some pictures of the fuel lines where they go, much appreciated! I only have 1 main line (the atv was torn apart when I got it) So I'm trying to see if all the parts are really there. There are two spots for lines, I'm thinking back and I think there was a fuel shut off peaco^k there that split the two lines, one line went to the primer, the other went to the top of the carb?

Been looking around here for pictures, but it takes awhile for my computer to load anything due to limited wi-fi access. So the search feature takes a long time to use. So far I've tracked down a lot of links for parts, which I think I'm just going to use ebay for parts. Pressure washed the quad, engine paint is still really nice, frame is okay. Needs to be sand blasted and re-painted later on. Otherwise just TLC. Brakes were frozen solid on it so it needs the drum cleaned and new pads, chain still has a lot of life in it. Throttle cable had never been adjusted, once I broke it loose I adjusted it all up nice, thing works perfect! Choke is still messed up a little, the piece that went inside the carb was frozen so bad that I wasn't able to do anything to it for a couple days while PB Blaster sat on it. Glides in and out smoothly now. I think the pilot jet is clogged though, but the hole in it is so small that I can't really get anything in there to check, but it seems to have air blow though it.

Plastics will be sanded down and painted, not sure how I will paint them yet. Thinking about taking them to a friend to have something custom air brushed on them. The quad is not going to be rode that hard since I have a bad back (fail on not taking care of myself and lifting atvs and snow mobiles at a young age!) Pics coming soon of the restore hopefully. Camera is acting up.