Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1986 Suzuki 230cc Quadsport Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Suzuki 230cc Quadsport Help

So I was given a 1986 suzuki 230cc Quadsport, and it needs some TLC.

I'm not very experienced with ATVs so bare with me.

The Good:

• It runs, and it runs pretty good. Well, good enough for what I want it for.

The Bad:

• It won't start unless it's bomb started, which I can only do when I have a friend to help me out so I can't ride it whenever I want.

• The thumb piece for the throttle is broken off, although I just got a new one so that's not really a problem anymore.

• The exhaust is complete garbage, basically straight piped but done horribly, but also not a big issue right now.

• No battery start, pull cord only. It can use a battery, but it will not keep the battery charged, I also don't want to get a battery if it's not necessary, I'm fine with pull cord start.

• When it is in neutral, it revs up super super high. I don't know if this is a simple solution such as turning down the idle, or a bigger issue. I can't check right now as I can't get it started.

• When it finally does start, only after being bomb started of course. It will turn right off if I don't let it have a constant flow of gas. So basically I can't idle it. However, this problem stops when it is warmed up, this problem only happens from a cold start. It also starts instantly when it's warm, all the problems with it starting are from a cold start.

Mainly, I'm looking for a solution to starting it from a cold start without bomb starting it and without using electric start. If the solution is getting a battery and using the electric start, for some reason the ATV won't charge the battery and it will just die, how would I fix that problem?

I don't have much money to spend so I'm being as cost efficient as possible.

It has a brand new oil change, full tank of gas, and a clean carburetor.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try adjusting the valves. That might help you with the hard starting when cold.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, check valve adjustments as tight valves will cause your cold starting woes. Also, are you using the choke to start it when it is cold?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, i'll check the valves in the morning, as it's 2 am right now. Yep, i've been using full choke everytime when trying to cold start. Will adjusting the valves also fix the problem with it not being able to idle until it's warm you think, or is that a whole other problem?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You have a worn intake valve and its worn so much that there is no gap between the valve stem and the rocker. This is because you have a crappy air filter that is letting dirt into the engine, which grinds the valve surface down. The air filter is also making it run lean and giving you your idle problems when cold. Maybe you also have a plugged pilot jet too.

Adjust some lash back into the valve and you can ride for a while before you have to do it again. Once the hardness is worn off, it wears pretty fast and you'll have to adjust it sooner and sooner until the valve eventually pulls right through the head.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adjusting the valves should help with the cold idle. May not fix it completely if there are other issues such as an intake or exhaust leak. Basically, you probably have a valve that is barely opening until it gets to operating temp.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

No, its the opposite... the valve never closes.

Here's one I posted before... Name:  250valve2a.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  53.0 KB

Everytime you adjust the lash back to spec, that steep angle will continue on down the valve face until the valve pulls right through the valve seat. If you never adjust the lash, you can't start the engine because the valve never seats.