Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 suzuki eiger 400 too rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 suzuki eiger 400 too rich

hows it going everyone heres my problem i have a 2002 suzuki eiger 400 thats running to rich i have cleaned the carb several times and adjusted the air jet and valves does not matter what i do its only from 0 to 1/4 throttle its to rich and wont idle so if anyone could help it would be very appreciated

Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

The air screw is for running on the pilot jet so adjusting it may throw the idle mixture out, but if the carb was running rich before you adjusted it the most likely cause is a sticking choke or a leaky float needle.I have just had this problem on a newly re-bored Eiger. It would only start on full throttle and wouldn’t idle but if you gave it a run it would be OK for afew seconds on tickover before stalling and needing a full throttle restart. Suzukis have that vacuum operated fuel tap, so a leaky float does not lead to an overflowing carb like on other makes. It just runs rich enough to stall, and that shuts the fuel tap. I took the carb apart and found two tiny grains ofsand stuck to the float needle. Either I had disturbed some silt when I had the tank off, or the grit had got in the pipe during the rebuild. Either way the engine runs fine now. I have had problems with the spring in similar float needles, a tiny plunger sticks out and contacts the float, if the spring isweak the plunger can stick down giving a high float level. If it isn’t thechoke or float, I would fit a rebuild kit to make sure you have standard needles, jets etc. The stock Eiger was known to run slightly weak and someone may have tried altering jets.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

May need a jet change. I read a few post where they did not like the stock jetting but its was due to being on the lean side not rich. Here's some go posts.
ATV Alliance Forums-viewtopic-Eiger carb jetting
and
http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...oo-lean-6.html
This guy seems to have you issue.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...-problems.html

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the info I did find the problem after putting a new carb kit and everything it didn't work so I went to the other common suzuki problem the petcock and that was it ,the diaphragm was junk so I fixed that and it runs like a brand new machine