Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT250s 89

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will do the Spline to Spline check tomorrow.. But sometimes it does shift all the way through to 5th.. sometimes it plays hard .. but 1st and neutral shift smooth..

And when I do get past first. 2,3,4, and 5 come without a hiccup.. If I rule out the linkage tmrw, I guess I'll pull the Clutch Cover and see what I can find. Maybe something with the shifter shaft end. Who knows.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thats what I meant, inside the clutch cover, behind the clutch, if its not aligned correctly, it wont shift correctly. I had that problem when I accidentally slid the shifting arm over a little bit and it slipped out of place. Are you trying to shift while moving? Its 100 percent easier to shift while moving.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Thats what I meant, inside the clutch cover, behind the clutch, if its not aligned correctly, it wont shift correctly. I had that problem when I accidentally slid the shifting arm over a little bit and it slipped out of place. Are you trying to shift while moving? Its 100 percent easier to shift while moving.
Sorry, yes even while moving, it shifts fine sometimes, then others it just goes 1st and N... I did have to replace the Magneto Cover recently. So I'm guessing the shifter shaft did move out of place. I've never removed a clutch Assembly before, so this should be fun. Are there markings on the teeth of the shift shaft so I'll know how to correctly line it all back up?

Thanks again for your help, I was thinking that I something way worse going on in there...

Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK... After tearing off the Clutch Cover I found that you were EXACTLY CORRECT.. it was moved one tooth off.. There are to white pen marking showing where it needs to be... I am sooo greatful that you suggested checking that.. A load of stress was taken off my chest when I seen that.. Now I just need to figure out how to get it back straight? Should I take the mag cover back off and wiggle the rod loose, then place it on the correct tooth? hopefully I don't have to tear to far into it too fix it..

and on a side note. everything I can see looks good. No blueing, or excessive wear, and not one metal shaving in the oil/oil filter!!!!! which is an odd thing, bcuz I can tell this poor suzuki was beat!

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!! I am sincerely greatful!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Just hold it on the clutch end, slide it out a tiny bit just so that you can reposition it, and then move it to the correct spot. The clutch cover i believe has a part that holds it in place, so align the clutch cover first, and then align the shifter, so that it doesnt push out again. Then you can re-align everything on the shifter side

Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it's back together for the most part. It even shifts easily while off and not having to rock the bike. I'm trying to filter the oil now so I can put it back in *fairly new oil* and I'm pouring through a magnetic thing-a-mabobber that I made to triple check for any metal particles. I'll post when I finally get it moving.. Yeahhhhh!!!