Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 Suzuki lt250r Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have cleaned the carb very good. Took the bowl off and cleaned it out, sprayed carb cleaner in every hole possible, and took the jet out and cleaned it good. I can't get the carb completely apart because the rest is put together with star head screws with a little **** in the middle. Do I need to get it all the way apart? And by "prime" do you mean with choke in the one position, cause I have tried that and same thing happens.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Like I wrote earlier I don't know the LT250R but most Suzukis have a fuel tap under the tank that closes when there is no vacuum from the inlet manifold. To start an engine with an empty carb, the tap has a "prime" position. When on prime it lets fuel through without any vacuum so the carb can fill up. You then switch to "run" so the tap closes when the engine stops, this system prevents a leaky float needle from dumping the contents of the tank into the air box and/or engine.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

The fuel petcock has positions, on, off, and reserve

Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

OK so it can't be that unless someone has fitted a "normal" tap and left the vacuum line disconnected. This would allow an air leak into the manifold. Anyone know if the LT250R should have a vacuum operated tap? My only experience with Suzuki two strokes are LT50s and LT80s, if the carburation is slightly out they can be a pig to start, but when it is right, they are instant starters. Water can be a big problem, as tiny droplets collect together overnight and block the main jet, once this has got through the bike will run fine until left overnight, when some moisture collects under the jet again.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Genuine Suzuki Fuel Petcock 85 92 Suzuki LT250 R Quad Racer Fuel **** | eBay
this is the fuel tap that mine has, im pretty sure its stock and no vaccum

Old 10-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I imagine its just something with the carb. Anyone know if I could try a banshee carb on it cause my buddy has a blown banshee and said could try using one of his crabs.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If it will fit your manifold, go for it. It may not run right, but if the bike starts better you know that your carb has a problem.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default quadracer

Originally Posted by merryman
If it will fit your manifold, go for it. It may not run right, but if the bike starts better you know that your carb has a problem.
having owned 2 lt500`s , and owning an 85 lt250 3 times, and eventually turning it into an 87, I can honestly say there is no vacuum deal on the petcocks. could it be that you have an engine vacuum leak ? have you tested the case to see if its sucking air? those things are really pretty simple compared to todays bikes.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

How should I test for a leak in the cases? And anyone know what jets I should be running? Has a 200 main jet and a 37.5 pilot jet. I live in Nebraska so its a pretty medium temperature usually. All I know that's done to it is stock bore wiseco piston, stock header with fmf silencer, and no airbox with k&n filter.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default test

Originally Posted by mmumm
How should I test for a leak in the cases? And anyone know what jets I should be running? Has a 200 main jet and a 37.5 pilot jet. I live in Nebraska so its a pretty medium temperature usually. All I know that's done to it is stock bore wiseco piston, stock header with fmf silencer, and no airbox with k&n filter.
block off the intake port, and the exh. port w/ a gauge in one and an air valve stem in the other. don`t put too much pressure on it, maybe a couple of lbs., spay soapy water on every thing if the gauge goes down. have you ever lost a chain and had it pile up on the front sprocket ? can break the case if it happened. don`t remember what the stock jet was(been too long), but you can find out, and put one size bigger in for Your k-n filter. 'GOOD STARTING POINT" I`d change the screwy screws out for some stock ones till u ge tit sorted out.

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki lt250r Hard to start