Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto Carb Jetting Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto Carb Jetting Help

I've recently rode a buddies brute force 750 and of course my eiger couldn't keep up but it made me realize how sluggish my eiger seemed. I want to rejet the carb, pull the baffle out of the exhaust and cut a bigger hole, and get a better air filter. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible but still help it perform slightly better. Has anybody done anything like this? What all did you do to the carb as far as size jets, needle spacers, etc? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Cutting a baffle out won't help on power,in most cases you can loose power from loss of back pressure. Even after market exhaust system allow for back pressure. Best to get an exhaust designed for your machine,a better flowing air filter(which can help as much as an exhaust can) and rejet to compensate for both.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

A 400cc Eiger is never going to be anywhere near as fast as a 750. I find the manual version is a lot livelier though, due to the "low" gearing of the auto. I think different variator weights or spring would improve things, it just doesn't change "up" fast enough.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech, Sorry I meant the spark arrestor not baffle.

Merryman, I know it will never keep up, I just want my eiger to be less sluggish. I used to have a manual one but when doing farm work and then trail riding occasionally on weekends is just easier on me with a auto. Not to mention it was only 2wd so I needed something 4x4.

Thank you for actually replying!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Re Jetting will only get you more power if it's jetted wrong to start with. My AC has the 492 cc Suzuki motor and it has responded nicely to the muffler mod, a K&N and the big 2 upgrades were a Web racing cam and a 5 degree advance timing step key. I'm still playing with jets, now have a 155 Keihin main jet, still a bit too lean, but power has come waay up. Mine is a manual shift with 30" tires and will lift the front now when I shift into second gear hi range, 55 mph gps top speed up from 48 or so. I think you can gain quite a lot, bunch of AC 400 guys have with that motor. If you do the 5 degree key, you'll have to rum premium and jet up. The cam will also require fatter main jet, at least. You might gain from some clutch work, too.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

hydrex, thanks for the reply!

Ever since I bought the quad, it has been cold natured. I tried to remove the spark arrestor and drilled three holes around the end cap and it still would pop like a shot gun when I would completely let off the fuel and coast. The quad is stock other than 25" itp mud lite XL tires and a winch. I tried removing the spark arrestor and drilling the holes because I have been told by other people with Eigers that it would help with quicker rev of the engine and they reported no pops from their exhaust. I know the carb needs to be cleaned and possibly rebuilt which is why its cold natured but I figured if I was going to be tearing into the carb why not try to figure out jets and/or parts I'd need to help it get a little more pep. I've also been told that the 122 main jet that comes in the card is way too lean for the Eigers.