Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'

I need some help with an issue, i purchased a 2003 KFX80 used and it seemed to run fine when i got it. tested it with me on it and plenty of power.

When i took it home i noticed the idle was set almost to the max! so much that the bike was moving ahead even with the brakes on. So i dialed it down for my kids , now it idles without moving but have noticed that maybe ever since there is no low end torque? If you gently push throttle eventually it hits its 'power band' and boom all the power in the world but if you push it down too fast its just bogs down and almost drowns.. so then my kid is stuck in the mud or trying to climb a decent hill, unless she gets a running start i get no power at all.

you guys think its just the carb that needs to be cleaned out? Could that be why the old owner had the idle set all the way to the max? to compensate for the issue i seem to be having?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Clean the carb and we'll know.
It could be a cpl things but that's where I'd start.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok guess I will start with that, when you guys say 'BOIL' the carb, you mean take it all apart completely and boil anything metal? and for how long?

And what other things 'might' it be?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'd just do a regular cleaning. Not boil it at this point.
Remove both jets and clean well. I think that'll fix it.

Other: compression/plugged pipe

Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks, will start with just the jets.

Plugged pipe?

God I hope its not the compression

Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Sounds to me like there is something floating around in the carb bowl blocking a jet.
Clean it out good.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
I'd just do a regular cleaning. Not boil it at this point.
Remove both jets and clean well. I think that'll fix it.

Other: compression/plugged pipe
Ok cleaned it out well and no difference, all looked good before I even cleaned it.

when it first started after reconnecting everything it seemed a little better? but then after 3-5 mins and my wife riding on it, same symptoms. LOW end is gone, no power whatsoever, but if i can get it revving high enough and keep it med high rpm its got tons of power.

Could i have issue with the float and the valve not shutting off the gas properly? flooding the carb bowl? I know that if i do not turn off the tank valve when i shut it down for the day it will be flooded the next. I have an ON/OFF/RES shut off valve installed.

Also LT80 i took off that rubber piece that was over the jets as I saw in another post you had said it was useless? see pics, also it would not fit back on properly.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So any other ideas guys? I figure its not normal for the bike to bog out when starting from a stand still at the bottom of a small hill

Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also how much power should this have on low end anyways? I'm curious, as it is i can hold it back while straddling it and punching the throttle.

But it can haul my *** up a steep hill if i take a run at it. never really had low end 2 strokes so not sure on what to expect

Could this all be a clutch issue?

Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Yes it could. The grease can get hard and limit roller travel. You should service the clutchs regardless.
I think you should expect more out of it. You should be able to wheelie with a lil pull on the bars.
After clutchs, then I'm back to compression or plugged pipe.
Feel how much exhaust is coming out of the pipe. If in doubt, pull the pipe away from the cylinder and try it.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Yes it could. The grease can get hard and limit roller travel. You should service the clutchs regardless.
I think you should expect more out of it. You should be able to wheelie with a lil pull on the bars.
After clutchs, then I'm back to compression or plugged pipe.
Feel how much exhaust is coming out of the pipe. If in doubt, pull the pipe away from the cylinder and try it.
Before i got ripping out the front clutch to look at the rollers is there any chance it could have to do with my possible float valve not closing properly? I ask because I am still waiting on a re-build kit and if i leave the gas line on it floods the engine every time. so I am deducing that the float valve is probably defective, could that affect my low end rpm?

Also i took off the pullstart cover(as i have none) to take a quick peek looks real clean in there but should the belt be riding high on the front clutch like it is in the pics i have attached? best i could do sorry

http://imgur.com/a/MxNlV

Quick Reply: LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'