Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2006 King Quad 700 Top End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 King Quad 700 Top End Rebuild

So it looks like i need to rebuild the top end of my 700. It's leaking coolant pretty bad into the oil and it's really hard to start. Would like to tackle this myself.
Anyone ever done one of these and have any pointers? I know i need to set to TDC and take the cams and timing chain out.
I've rebuilt cars and whatnot, but not an ATV before. I'm familiar enough with things, but just a little nervous about doing this one. Not really looking to spend $1500 for a dealer to do this work.

Does anyone have any steps on how to handle this and what to look out for, etc?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If this is a good service manual it should show steps on tear down and assembly that can help.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....manual-lta-700

Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

How will I know if it's a good version or not do I have to pay for it first?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Haven't heard any complaints from people that have used Tradebit manuals. What I meant by if it's a good one like the factory high priced manuals,it should be almost a copy of those manuals. Just like the other manual site that I recommend on Polaris manuals.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download Would have posted a link there if they had access to Suzuki manuals.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I've been there before but was hesitant to buy one. I have a repair manual for an 08. It should be similar in regards to the Cylindar disassembly, right?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hopefully they're better than a Clymer, but Clymers not too bad of a manual for the most part.I had a stack of them at the shop for different Jap machines.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

An 06 and an 08 will be almost identical. The 700 is not easy to work on, as being DOHC there are two sets of cam timings to sort out. Mark the parts up yourself as there are differences between inlet and exhaust set ups. Valve clearances are by shim, never easy to set, though they don't alter much, and don't hone the bore, the Suzuki dealer we bought new rings from told us the bore is coated.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
An 06 and an 08 will be almost identical. The 700 is not easy to work on, as being DOHC there are two sets of cam timings to sort out. Mark the parts up yourself as there are differences between inlet and exhaust set ups. Valve clearances are by shim, never easy to set, though they don't alter much, and don't hone the bore, the Suzuki dealer we bought new rings from told us the bore is coated.
Any tips on getting this thing to TDC, or making sure I don't mess up the cams, or timing? I'll mark the sprockets and such and keep everything organized. Anything i really need to be particular about?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Nothing I can think of, TDC is a mark on the flywheel, visible through a hole with a screw in plug.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was really concerned about nothing in regardless to the work. Was t all that difficult.

I took everything apart apart and found that someone has already been inside this thing. Turns out they snapped a head bolt off right by the timing chain housing. So it was leaking coolant right through there into the crankcase. I have the head and cylinder out not getting worked on to get that bolt out and have the decks checked.

Couple let things I found as I did this:
The cam lobes point up and inwards when set to TDC.
Definitely make sure you mark your cam sprockets for their position.
Unbolt the head bolts in a diagonal pattern.
Need to loosen the foot peg bolts to get the drive belt housing off.

On get the head and cylinder hug back I'll be replacing the piston rings, gaskets, and head bolts. Turns out someone recently out a new piston in it. Hence the problem...

thanks!