Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

87 LT300E Where to start??

Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 LT300E Where to start??

Hey guys. I just picked up a 1987 Suzuki LT300E for $200 bucks. Seems to be in good shape but is not running at the moment. Looking for some insight on where to start from here.

The problem is(I think), something internally is broke, causing the motor from turning over. Using the pull start, I can get the motor to make one or two rotations then it locks up. The quad will roll as far as you want to push it while in neutral, so I hope nothing is broke off in the transmission. The guy I bought it from said he bore scoped the top end through the spark plug but did not see any problems.

You guys have any insights? Plan is too pull the electric starter tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails 87 LT300E Where to start??-lt300.jpg  
Old 04-16-2017, 04:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like something a broken piston skirt would do. I've had a few that would turn over and then the piece would lodge against the crank.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Trying to break it down but having some trouble getting the left side cover off. I have all the bolts out. It will move in and out probably 1/8".

Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well got the case off. Also took the head and cylinder off. Found the problem. Both exhaust valves were broke off.

Guess I'm looking at a head job and new piston. It this thing worth it? Should I look for some used stuff on ebay? Do you guys know what year is compatible?

THanks,

Attached Thumbnails 87 LT300E Where to start??-300-cylinder-head.png   87 LT300E Where to start??-300-piston.png  
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Gonna take more than just a valve job. The valve seats are destroyed along with part of the head itself. If the rod is ok,no damage to it and the cylinder is still decent,a cylinder bore,piston and used head that you could rebuild. Just depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend on a 30 year old machine.87 LT300 head | eBay

Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They made that machine in 87, 88, and 89. You actually have an 88 according to the decals. You also have a slightly more optioned version than the base model based on the fact that you have the larger racks and the recoil starter. You probably also have slower gearing via the chain and sprockets. (In the back of the shop manual, there is a chapter about that model and I think they actually refer to it as a LTF-300E instead of just an LT300E. From what I remember reading, those are the only 3 meaningful differences - racks, recoil, and gearing.)

There was also a model in 85 and 86 called the LT250E that had a very similar chain drive motor. I believe a lot of the parts interchange between those two.

Where are you located? I've got an extra '87 300E that has a good running motor, but my frame is cracked so I will likely be parting it out (or would be interested in yours perhaps.)

Good luck. They are great bikes if taken care of.