Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1999 suzuki king quad fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suzuki king quad fuel issues?

Hello Let me give you some back round on this atv. First off it was free and not running. Had low compression and sat for 1.5 years. I got it to run but very rough.I rebuilt the top end bored .20.and valve job.Bought a carb. rebuild kit.It starts when i hold in the throttle and idles fine for a few seconds then revs up and shuts off. I cant seem to keep it idling. It seems like its not getting enough fuel then all the sudden it gets too much then shuts off.The pilot jet is set at 2 5/8 turns.Am i missing something.Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

The PMS screw is 2 5/8 turns out. So have you checked the float height? I think it's supposed to be around 17 mm. Unplug the fuel hose from the carburetor and let it run into a clean glass jar. Make sure you have a healthy flow. Also, I know Arctic Cat used Suzuki motors, but maybe more, so, on the 2 Arctic Cat gas models that I have had, you have to switch to reserve well before you would expect, so if you have a reserve switch, try the gas flow in reserve mode too. If all jets are clean and have air blown thru, float height is good, first thing I would try, turn in PMS screw until 1 turn out. Try to get it to idle perfect before tuning for midrange and full throttle. When in doubt, a Dynojet Stage 1 kit may make it easier to tune.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for delay i just got back from vacation. Come to find out i have no compression. Maybe i broke a ring when putting it back together. Or the jack *** at the machine shop hosed me on the work. Any way im going to take it back apart and hope for broken rings. I checked compression it waz at 100. Squirt some oil in the cylinder and it was almost 200. Rings???? What are your thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No broken rings

Took it apart and i dont see broken rings?There was oil on top of the piston after i removed the head.Could it be a bad head gasket? Should i have used some sealer when doing the head gasket?Thanks