Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

750 KG rear issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 750 KG rear issue

Hello. First time posting. My 2015 750 kq was kicking out of gear from time to time. It would be driving fine and then pop out of gear. Come to a stop and it pops back in. Last night I am riding and it pops out but this time theres no grinding noise and it just wont go. No gear works. I was thinking belt. I put it in H and engaged the 4wd and the front wheels work. Still nothing from the rear. Take it out of 4wd and nothing. So what could've caused it to pop out of gear that would also drive only the rear end? Or, is it a coincidence? Maybe the through shaft, speculative, broke and is irrelevant to the popping out of gear?

thanks!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Seems like one of the prop shaft drive splines is popping out, or the rear diff bearings gone. I have never known one to fail, however the back end can break away, and I did once have a 450KQ with every mounting tube or bracket holding the diff in place, broken.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

It's almost always better to fix something when it first acts up, then wait until it stops moving all together. If you want to fix it yourself, perhaps you can download a repair manual for a Suzuki Dealer?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here's what I found

Here's what I found. The shaft is either broke or popped out of the rear end. I didn't try to run it to see if the shaft turns yet but I am guessing it doesn't. I didnt hear any clunking when I drove it home in front wheel drive. The shaft wont pull out so I am guessing something inside the case is broke?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless it has like 10K miles on it, it seems strange that a quad that new has any problems at all. My Grizzly 660 had a similar problem, one of the rear cv shafts was shot. It would only move in 4wd as only one rear wheel was pulling in 2wd and didn't have enough power to pull itself. Perhaps both of your rear cv shafts are worn out. Generally they don't wear out that quickly unless the quad has a lot of miles on it or has been worked hard or abused. I'd try jacking up the rear end and putting the machine in gear and see if one or both of the tires spin then. The shaft might be able to spin the rear tires then as it doesn't have to move the weight of the machine. If one spins, then the tire not spinning is the bad cvt shaft. If neither spin, then they're probably both shot or its a failure somewhere else in the driveline.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default This is whats wrong

This is what is wrong.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"only one rear wheel was pulling in 2wd and didn't have enough power to pull itself."
If one rear wheel is driving a bike will work fine, just spin the driving wheel on slippery surfaces.

A couple of weeks ago I serviced 2014 500KQ and found one bottom frame tube and both top frame tubes broken clean in two, how it was still in one piece is a mystery, I guess the engine was holding it together.