Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New rims for new KQ400ASI

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rims for new KQ400ASI

Hello everybody! I just joined the forum after purchasing a new, old stock, KQ400ASI Camo. My previous machine was a Kawi KLF 300 which I bought new in '96. Its been a great machine for a long time, but now it just needs more work and love than I can give it since its sitting at my hunting club in the mountains of NY, and I now live in Fl. I'm going to need a reliable machine this hunting season, so when I came across this deal, I had to jump. It was new in the crate, never prepped or started.
For now, the only changes I plan is to add some soft storage for all my crap, and, I decided to lite it up a little by replacing the stock wheels with a set of ITP SS212's. I'm gonna stick with the stock Maxxis for now. After they get some wear on them, or I decide I really don't like them, I'll change them out. I could use some suggestions for a better quality, slightly aggressive, all purpose trail tire.
Anyway, looking forward to learning what's new in the ATV world, particularly KingQuads.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I've had my 2016 camo 400asi for a few months now, have about 170 miles on it after a 130 mile weekend vacation a few weeks ago. Very happy with it so far with just a few slight upgrades.

The stock tires do great on typical standard woods trails, steep rocky climbs and slick wet/muddy trails. I have found them lacking greatly if the water is to deep even with a hard bottom i can tell it takes alot more throttle because they just spin on the bottom instead of cutting through the extra water resistance.

Swapped the HS1 stock halogen headlight bulbs for a pair of H4 LED bulbs, mounted a 20" light bar to the front rack wired to a button mounted near the handle bars, added 2 4" led pods onto the brakelight bracket connected to the factory pigtail at the rear which automatically comes on when shifted into reverse, ammo can on the rear rack mounted with a pair of chevy u-joint straps and some random bolts i had in the tool box, and a 2500# winch.

It is a nice enough little machine to troll around in the woods on it will sit just like this until the tires wear enough i need to replace them, will probably go with a semi aggressive but still lightweight 26" tire like the interco swamplite and keep rocking it like that again.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

SuperMidget, I was thinking of swapping out my headlamp bulbs. Which headlight bulbs did you get and are they straight plug and play? Do you know how many lumens they are? Are you happy with them or would you go a different way if you could?

Glad to see that you seem happy with your machine so far. I did a lot of research before I decided on the KQ 400 ASI. Couldn't find one bad review or even a, "well if I could change one thing", type of comment. I've had it a week now and still haven't ridden it. I need to get to DMV and register it so I can go break it in on the Croom trail system just up the road from me.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

I went cheap just in case the swap didn't work out but am very happy with them so far. I used these lights off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18EWPB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PbYIzb4MFBCKR

The swap involved removing the lights from the bike and rerouting the wiring to accommodate the fan/heatsink while leaving the protective rubber cups in place but overall only took a half hour or so to complete.

There is a comparison shot vs stock in my post here.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/373001-led-head-lights-2016-kq-400asi.html

Old 08-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

WOW! What a difference. I'm definitely going that way! Can't lose for $20! So, did they just plug in or did you have to cut and splice. I'm a retired electrician so not a problem. I just wanted a nice neat install. Just to be sure, they have high and low beams, right?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah they are high/low bulbs. Plugs right into the stock wiring.

The leds have a fan/heatsink with wire pigtail while the stock setup wires directly to the bulb so ya gotta make some space. Mine looks 100% factory until I turn them on.

There are 2 rubber cups over the lights. The inner one has the 3 light wires running through it. I had to split in between them and pull the plug out then pull the bulb pigtail out to reinstall it. Then removed the light housing from the black plastic assembly and tuck the plug in the corner the stock wiring runs into It. Reinstall and adjust the aim, profit.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the run through. Funny thing is, I just pulled the assembly apart and reassembled it so I could get an idea what it was going to be like. Seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for all the info. Enjoy your bike. Ride safe.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah if you are any kind of mechanically inclined it's a pretty straight forward swap. And a side note in the rear of these If you look just to the left of the battery box there is a bundle of wires in a rubber sleeve with bullet connectors. 2 of them are +/- for a backup light that comes on when shifted to reverse automatically. I use 2 4" led pods and love it at night that I don't have to mess with it.

Drilled out 2 holes in the brake light bracket to mount them and didn't even have to extend the wires. Connected them and now I can see in either direction at night just fine.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi SuperMidget, I'm installing the led bulbs and I have a question. Did you reinstall the two rubber cups? I'm thinking that, if I do, The fan might overheat for lack of fresh air. Then I was thinking, since the inner cup now has a fresh hole in its side, I could make a small breather hole in the outer cup and position both holes 180 degrees from each other. Am I over thinking this?
Thanks, Tim

Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer

i don't think there is a need to modify the outer cup as the entire assembly is open in the front around the headlight lens itself so when driving air will be swirling around the whole light inside the black plastic piece its bolted into. All putting a 2nd hole in the outer cup will do is allow any dirt/mud/water thrown up by the front tires easier access into the housing.