Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Q-racer still vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys. i just brought my engine to get looked at from a dealer a few weeks ago. well, it costed me $800 to get it, "soppusably"(or however you spell it) fixed. well yeah it helped a little, but the thing still vibrates like heck! god i thought for that kind of money things would get fixed by the "professionals". i guess i was wrong. anybody else's quad vibrate like mine????

Old 04-19-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

i bet mine vibrates worse! no counterbalancer=lots of vibration. all my bolts constantly fall out. i'm putting blue loc tite on all of em when i put it back together.

Old 04-19-2001, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of vibration? Is it in the bars at idle or when you have it hammered? Mine vibrates some but not to the point of arm-pump. My 500r shakes alot of stuff loose, too. Check out the steering stem bushings up by the headlight and the holes at the bottom of the stem where the tie-rods bolt on. These were worn on mine causing it to shake at high speed

Old 04-19-2001, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

well before i brought the engine to get looked at it was so bad. now it does it when you have the thing wide open. i replaced every single bearing in the engine, swing arm, and axle carrier, except for the front hubs because them were still good. yeah i already lost a few bolts to. do all quadracers vibrate like that? i wish it was more like my banshee cause that has absolutely no vibration at all!!

Old 04-19-2001, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

It is the counterbalance weight inside the motor. It was put together a few teeth off it sounds like. Take the clutch cover off and then remove the clutch basket asembly. Take the gear off of the crank and verify that the dots on both the gear and the shaft line up. Then line up the dots on the gear previously removed and the counterbalance gear. This should solve your problem. I see this a lot. Too much in fact.

Old 04-19-2001, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

Ijust had my bottom end rebuilt by a dealer, when I got it back it was vibrating like a ******* so I brought it back and told him he put the balancer in wrong, well he replied he remebered lining the dots up. So that night I pulled out my Clymer manual and it shows the 87-92 had a splined crank, the 85-86 had a keyed, so I called him the next day and asked him if he lined all THREE dots up and he said that is what the problem is, and he would fix it. The moral of the story is dealers don't always do it correctly.

Old 04-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

THERE IS ONE THING THAT WE MIGHT BE OVER LOOKING HERE.. WHAT CAUSES THAT IS A MISALIGENED FRONT END OR BENT WHEEL. THIS ALSO CAUSES VIBRATION WHEN TRAVELING FAST ON SMOOTH SURFACES. IF YOU HAVE NO NOTICE OF IT IN THE WOODS BUT LOTS OF VIBRATION RUNNING DOWN A SMOOTH DIRT OR PAVED ROAD CHECK YOUR FRONT END. AS FOR IN THE MOTOR VIBRATION THE COUNTERBALANCER WOULD BE MY STARTING POINT, MY BUDDIES WAS 180 DEGREES OUT AFTER SOME SO CALLED " PROFESSIONAL" PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. NOT THAT I AM A PRO BUT I TAKE MORE TIME AND DOUBLE CHECK THINGS BECAUSE I AM ON MY TIME NOT SOME CLOCK. I ALSO HAD A CV BOOT REPLACED ON MY 500 SPORTSMAN AND WHEN I GOT IT BACK IT FELT LIKE IT HAD A FLAT TIRE BECAUSE IT HOPPED, THE DEALER AT FIRST TOLD ME I HAD A DRIVELINE PROBLEM SINCE I HAD ONLY 350 MILES ON IT I FOUND THIS UNLIKELY AND WE LATER FOUND OUT THAT THE AXLE WAS SPLINDED WRONG WHEN HE PUT IT BACK TOGETHER SO THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING OUT OF ALIGEN IN YOUR MOTOR THERE TO. I WOULD GET THE FRONT END LOOKED AT TO BE SURE IT IS TRACKING STRAIGHT BEFORE I RIP THE MOTOR BACK APART SINCE THIS IS WHERE WE FIND ALOT OF VIB PROBLEMS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A STEERING DAMPER TO HELP OUT THE STEERING AND I LOVE THE LONE STAR ANTI-VIB STEERING STEMS THESE 2 ITEMS ARE THE BEST BOLT ON'S I HAVE EVER INSTALLED FOR COMFORT.

Old 04-21-2001, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

Howdy,
My, racer vibrates some on idle but smooths out through the revs. and is smooths as glass on smooth ground at high speed. sorry man I hope you get it straitend out.

Danno

Old 04-23-2001, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

I am glad I was able to send you in the right direction. I hope he fixes it right this time. I have seen this problem over and over again. All it takes is a few extra minutes to do it right. So how come we never have time to do it right the first time but we always have time to do it over. Ask your dealer that will ya!!!!!!!!!