Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2000 2X4 Kodiak as a girlfriend machine. It is an all-around wonderful and sporty bike. We were riding in the mountains this last weekend and she got into a situation that was over her head, so we swapped rides and I jumped on the Kodiak and negotiated the hill. As I was riding the Kodiak for the first long ride in rough terrain I noticed vibrations and tough handling.

I first backed the pre-load off of each spring/shock assembly to keep the bike more managable for my girlfriend. This made a noticable improvement and the bike is much easier to ride for my girlfriend. Since I don't use this machine for heavy work nor racing, I'm not worried about decrease in weight handling performance.

I also noticed what I think is a lot of engine vibration. Is this common to Kodiaks? I purchased a 2000 Kodiak 4X4 for my father, but haven't ridden it much so did not notice vibration issues.

I must say that I ride a Honda Rubi for myself. We had ridden about 60 miles that day and I rode about 5 of them on the Kodiak. With the vibrations of the Kodiak, no wonder she was exhausted when we got back to camp.

I have recommended the Kodiak numerous times over even the vaunted Rubi to numerous riders. Great machine.

Any ideas about the engine vibration?

Old 05-29-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, slight vibration from the right side of the engine where the clutch cover is located is normal for the Kodiak. It tends to decrease after time. I think it's because the clutch weight grease needs to break down. Because after I installed a clutch kit I had a real bad vibration. So bad that I took it apart again to make sure I had put it together right. It was put together right. After time that vibration started to disappear.

Old 05-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

My 00 Kodiak has 240Km on it and has vibrated like a dog defecating razor blades since day one. I was shocked when I compared it to my smooth running Honda 300 fourtrax, and initially thought something was wrong. Then I rode two other 00 Kodiaks and they vibrated as well. If it smooths out over time, as FKNA says, so much the better.
I rode an Arctic Cat 500 auto this weekend, and it vibrated too, but not as bad as the Kodiak. All the same the Kodiak has so much going for it I can overlook the vibs. Hey Harleys vibrate, and people love em'.

Old 05-29-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

454....considering I have never been on another quad, I don't have anything to compare it to. But you're right, the Kodiak does have a lot going for it and the vibration that is there doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 05-30-2001, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I also have a bit of vibration. Just like all the other owners of the Kodiak I can live with it.