Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Supplied cables too short for winch install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supplied cables too short for winch install

After some research, I decided to install a KFI SE25 winch on my 400ASI. In the box was everything you should need to install the winch, cables, contactor, rocker switch, hardware.... However, the cables supplied with my winch were way too short for installation on my KIngQuad 400 which is one of the smallest 4x4 machines on the market these days. I can't imagine these cables working on some of the larger machines. I now had to purchase their accessory long cable kit for an additional $45 or live with a useless 22lb paper weight. I thought that was BS. When I contacted KFI customer service, they were totally disinterested in making things right with me. As a matter of fact, they never even answered my first email. And now they haven't answered my third. What KFI should do is research and find the largest machine on the market and estimate cable length from the winch location to the farthest point on the machine then add another 12-15 inches. Even if it meant charging $10-$15 more for their product. But that would impinge on their secondary market selling longer cable kits. Haven't needed to use the winch yet but I hope it brings more satisfaction than their customer support. Buyer beware. Rant over.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems with KFI, are you sure you bought the correct kit? They make kits for atv's, sport and utility and also for UTV's. I installed one on my UTV and had plenty of cable length with about 3 ft or so extra coiled up with a cable tie. I do know the shortest cable set is on the sport model atv and a longer set is on the utility model and the longest is of course on the utv model. You might try calling rather than texting, they were very helpful to me on the phone. Sorry for your issues but it seems they have a good reputation.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kymco 450i, I'm glad your experience was better than mine. I bought the Stealth series SE25 with synthetic cable. Their website makes no distinction as far as sport, utility, or UTV applications for this winch. If there is, they could have replied to my first correspondence and offered to exchange for the correct cables and adjust the price, but they didn't. Its behind me now. I only posted in the hopes of giving others a heads up. They've made it pretty clear with their lack luster response that they have no interest in customer satisfaction after the sale. I hope you're right about their reputation, at least in the quality of the product. To me, customer service is just as important as quality of products and theirs sucks. It cost me $45 to find that out, but hey, it could have been worse. I won't be spending anymore money with KFI and neither will the guys in my ATV and hunting clubs.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It may be partly Suzuki to blame. Some King Quads came with two heavy duty wires taped up to the front frame leg, just where the winch would go. I assume they are for a winch. Trouble is, not all came with them. I guess your supplier made the kit up for one with the wires fitted, and then had to make up an extra kit for those owners who don't have those factory fitted wires. Like you wrote though, KFI could explain this on their adverts, or at least when you contacted them.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had similar experiences using the internet, so from now on I prefer using a dealer so I get first hand word of mouth and also a place to return it if things are not right. My information came directly from a dealer where I bought my machine. I learned a long time ago not to trust the internet and become willing to pay a few extra bucks and get from a reputable dealer. I also learned the hard way on a number of occasions so from here on in, I do my research ahead of time and a lot of it, before I spend the money. I also have learned to ask for a phone conversation and not just an internet message. I get more honest answers over the phone or in person than over a message board where someone in a foreign country might be responding.
Unfortunately this is the way our country is moving in todays high technology living. Some of us older guys have just learned the hard way to get around it....sometimes..!!

Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been off grid for a month hunting , so this is the first I've seen your replies and had a chance to answer. First, KFI sells winch kits of different capacity but there is NO option to choose a kit particular to an ATV, UTV or sport machine.
Second, most (all that I know of) UTV's have their batteries mounted either mid machine, under the seats or somewhere near the front of the machine making installation easier with shorter cables to the contactor which can be mounted under the dash or front plastic. Most ATV's, like mine, require the contactor to be mounted much further to the rear (in my case, just in front of the tail light) and farther away from the winch necessitating longer cables. As I've stated previously, the manufacturer should research and find the largest machine on the market and then, provide enough cable length to reach the furthest point from the winch plus 12-15 inches. Even if they had to charge $10-$15 more for the product. Short of that, they should at least state the lengths of the supplied cables so the end user can measure and determine if he needs,or wants,to spend an additional $45 for an extended cable kit.