Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?

I have a 1996 Suzuki King Quad 300.
I removed the carburetor and air box to do some maintenance.
I noticed this hose coming out of the top the engine (or it might be the transmission at this point, I don't know). [see my first attached picture]

It comes out and goes into a tee.
From the tee the side on the run just curves around and lays on top of the engine under the carburetor. This seems like easy access for dirt and water to enter the engine, I don't know it this is correct.
[see my second attached photo]

The side on the bull goes up above the gas tank where it loops around the gas filler (this is under the plastic cover where you normally can't see it). Next to the gas filler it has some type of filter or something inline. [see my third attached photo]

Then the hose continues back down to the bottom of the frame next to the rear right tire. Where it ends into a plastic v shaped piece. [see my 4th attached photo].

I am guessing these hoses are some type of vent?
Does anyone know what these are? What they do? Whats the purpose for them?
Is the short hose laying on top of the engine supposed to be there? Will water get in it? Should I route it up higher or leave it?
Is that a filter or what inline with the longer hose?

Attached Thumbnails what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?-atv-11-pb.jpg   what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?-atv-12-pb.jpg   what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?-atv-14-pb.jpg   what is the Purpose of hoses on top of engine/trans?-atv-13-pb.jpg  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Is the air filter inside a box? Look for a small nipple on the air box for it to connect to. That would be my guess, if crankcase or transmission vent. You at least don't want it going under water.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Hydrex, I looked you are correct. There is a nipple on the air box for it to connect to.