Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 suzuki quadrunner gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 suzuki quadrunner gas in oil

I have recently bought a 2002 suzuki quadrunner 500 4x4 for a cruiser bike for me and her to enjoy smooth riding on dirt roads
problem: I have gas mixing in the oil and hard to crank and won't idle I have the pitcock on mine that has on/prime/res and it has the small vent line on the pitcock
. Please help never fought this on a carb bike with
the prime function thanks in advance any advice is appreciated

Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You may well get fuel in the oil if you leave a Suzuki on prime. On other makes, if the float needle sticks open, fuel flows out of the overflow pipe on the float bowl and down onto the ground. On Suzukis, because the tap switches fuel flow off when the engine stops, they don't fit an overflow pipe. So if you leave it on prime and the float needle leaks, fuel runs into engine and airbox. There is no vent line on the petcock, but there is a vacuum pipe to it from the inlet manifold or carb which switches fuel flow off when there is no vacuum, as long as you have it on RUN or RES.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that I can see if the pitcock is working properly if I remove the fuel and vacuum lines coming from the petcock.... if it is turned to on or reserve no fuel should flow because it requires a vacuum to operate. But if I switch it to prime gas should run freely from the tank ? After I figure that out with all lines hooked back up even with it turned to prime in order to get gas into oil there is something wrong with the carb if I am understanding this correctly....... needle seat in the carb is bad or something to that nature...am I correct? And o ce again thanks for all the help

Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

On almost all quads the float needle will stick sometimes, that is why all the other makes have the overflow pipes to dribble fuel down to the ground. Because Suzukis don't have this overflow, you have to make sure you don't leave it on PRIME. If the float needle dribbles all the time, there is something wrong, but usually it is a bit of grit that came in with the fuel, and will be flushed out by the fuel.