Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad 300 problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 91 King Quad 300. I took it out this past weekend for a 40 mile trail ride and although it ran really well, I did discover a problem. Whenever I'd come to a fairly quick stop the bike would stall. It starts right up again, but this did become annoying. I'm not sure if it needs an idle adjustment or maybe something more serious. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2001, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

downtown,
the first thing you need to do is to open up the airbox and check your air filter.This is very easy to do,you will take off 2 screws on the top of the airbox lid.You have a foam air filter,disassemble the one screw that holds it in place.Clean the foam element very good in mineral spirits,next,wash this same filter up in dish soap,making very sure that it runs very clean with clear water.Let the filter dry overnight.Once this filter is dry,spray it down completly with a good quality foam air filter oil.Once sprayed with filter oil,put it inside a zip lock baggie and squish it around,making sure that all the filter oil is absorbed.Clean out anything you may have in you airbox before you re-install this filter.

Warm the engine real good,if the quad now idles,your all set.If not,let me know,you'll probably have to adjust the idle up a little,
Good Luck,
Bill

Old 04-24-2001, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bill, Thanks for the response! I had checked the air filter before taking it out on the trails. The filter was in fairly bad shape so I replaced it with a new one. The filter I bought already had an oily substance on it, but the instructions said to "soak" it in air filter oil or engine oil with around SAE #30. Since I didn't have any air filter oil, I used the engine oil.
Dave

Old 04-24-2001, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dave,
engine oil will be ok to use for now,but do yourself a favor and next time you do a filter service,buy a spray bottle of foam filter spray.It has alot more ''sticky'' properties than conventional motor oils.I hope you did not install your new filter ''SOAKED''as you described.Drain out all the excess oil before you install it in the airbox,you could possible be smothering your engine with to much oil on this filter?This will certainly cause poor idleing and poor fuel economy.

Ok,
did you attempt to Idle up the engine at all?It should be a round screwhead located on the side of the carburetor.Make sure your engine is completely warm before you raise up the idle.After warm up,turn this screw CLOCKWISE 1/4 of a turn.If this does not work,go another 1/4 turn clockwise.Let me know how she idles than?
Bill

Old 04-24-2001, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

Just an thought... I've seen machines with the float valve in the carb set too low stall when they stop moving because the low level in the bowl causes it to starve the engine of fuel.. Not sure if It would do it to a 4 wheeler but it does on lawnmowers etc.. Same principle.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

MAKE SURE NOT TO OVER OIL THAT FILTER, I HAVE SEEN IT CAUSE PROBLEMS BECAUSE THE OIL GETS SUCKED INTO THE CARB AND MAKES THE SLIDE AND OTHER PARTS OF THE CARB STICK. AS FOR THE FLOATS THIS COULD VERY WELL BE YOUR PROBLEM. REMOVE THE BOTTOM OF THE FLOAT BOWL AND MAKE SURE IT IS NOT GUMMED UP. I RUN A K&N FILTER WITH AN OUTER WARE TO AVOID ALL THE STICKY OIL, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY MAKE ONE FOR YOUR BIKE. SINCE THIS BIKE IS TEN YEARS OLD AND MAY HAVE BEEN SITTING FOR AWHILE I WOULD TAKE THE CARB TO A DEALER AND HAVE THEM INSPECT AND REBUILD THE CARB. THIS WILL COST ABOUT 60 BUCKS (ASK YOUR LOCAL GUY FOR AN ESTIMATE). IF IT STILL DOES IT TAKE IT BACK TO THE SAME DEALER AND HAVE HIM ADJUST IT, AND SINCE HE ALREADY REBUILT IT HE SHOULD DO THIS FOR FREE. IF NONE OF THIS HELPS LET ME KNOW.

Old 04-25-2001, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

I'd try adjusting the idle first, those KQ carbs are usually pretty bulletproof. Bill how does your 400 ride, compared to the sportsman

Old 04-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

sxr6,
When I purchased the Xplorer,I had the upholstery shop take off that UGLY stock brown seat cover,add once inch of extra padding,and cover it with a black seat cover.I dont miss the ride on the Sportsman at all.The Sportsman does ride better,however,you wont even miss the ride until you hop on one and ride it.
Bill

Old 04-25-2001, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

downtown, just try the adjustment of the idle screw first, as someone said here. Make sure the engine's warm first. The pre-oiled filter is fine. I use them myself and they seem to have just the right amount of oil, no bogging or hesitations. Don't forget to check the plug. It can tell you things going on in the combustion chamber. Come back here if you need more info, there are some good plug readers here if you can describe the picture.
Chuck