Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 LT125 Starting issue

Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 LT125 Starting issue

Hi gang,

I have a LT125 giving me a headache. I've fixed about 5 project quads in the time I've had this beast. A bunch of other stuff done to it, but cant get it to reliably start.

Things I've done to date
  • Rebuilt Carb
  • Set Valves
  • Cleaned Carb...many times over
  • Float set
  • Cleaned tank
  • New primer
  • Rebilut fuel pump and petcock
  • Has Spark
  • Gets fuel to the bowl

Now to the issue:
After I finished the project, so I thought, it wouldnt start next time I rolled it out to ride again.id say I rode it 5 or 6 times.

If I clean the plug or put a new plug in, I can get it started after 5 or 6 pulls. Previously I could start it on 2nd or 3rd pull. I say clean the plug because it is wet, which means to me usually too Rich. I've adjusted the pilot up in out down backwards and sideways to no avail.

All I can think is maybe my rebuild kit was junk, but it started so nicely for a while. The issue started suddenly which made me think some junk got in there so I cleaned the carb again.

Now I appreciate that all of us have cleaned a carb only to find out we needed to clean it again, but I'm pretty sure this time. My next step is to find an alternate carb that would fit. New OEM carb is more than the carb is worth so am considering some type of carb that's similar mm

Any thoughts?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inspect vacuum line from intake tp petcock or fuel pump mine doesnt have a petcock regardless inspect for fuel not present remove line and make 100% no fuel if so this will flood engine. you can also pinch line and see if improved