Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt 80 front clutch won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt 80 front clutch won't fit

So we bought an LT80 for cheap that had issues with the clutch sticking and it driving on its own. We took the front clutch assembly off cleaned it up everything looked in good order unlike everything that we've read about them. When attempting to put everything back together it appears that our sheave won't go all the way on because the belt won't fit on that metal groove and let the outer peace be bolted on there's not enough room so the belt gets stuck constantly and that's causing it to drive on its own. Not really sure what to look here all of our pictures and everything that we have done appears to be done the right way. It's almost like I crankshaft isn't long enough after measuring everything we're approximately 1/2 inch too short for everything to fit

Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You must squeeze the belt so that it goes into the rear clutch. This allows room for the belt in front.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
You must squeeze the belt so that it goes into the rear clutch. This allows room for the belt in front.
The belt goes onto the front clutch but there isn't room for the outer sheave to be bolted on to the crank shaft with the belt in place it's like our crank shaft isn't long enough I will post pics today.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here is pic of what I mean

There isnt enough room once it is all on to bolt it together with the washer and the bolt.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here is pic of what I mean

There isnt enough room once it is all on to bolt it together with the washer and the bolt. This is what we are dealing with in the pics

Old 07-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Do I see a thin washer in there? Shouldn't be.
Early models had a long spacer. later models (89 up I think) use a short spacer and a big washer.
Do you have a big washer that "went" in there? Know your year?
It's hard for me to tell bit it sorta looks like the clutch isn't on all the way. You aligned the key/keyway properly?
Again, you must push the belt into the rear clutch so that it gives the belt that bit of room that you are looking for on the front.
I think you better get on a website and look at a fiche (transmission one).
FYI: there is a thin washer that goes on before the nut. It's a spring washer. Dome out.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 91

It is a 91 and we have the clutch on all the way to the key, it goes clutch then belt then the sheave on the outside then the washer and then but. And yes it won't go all the way on to make room for it to work properly. We are at a lose we don't know what to do from here

Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

No. It goes, clutch, spacer, (place the belt) Big washer, fixed face, washer, nut. I don't see the big washer. Maybe someone's been into it. You can measure the spacer. The long spacer is 1.392" long. Yours should be shorter and combined with that big washer would be 1.392"
"to the key" So you've triple checked and the key and keyway is aligned?
I install the variator aligning the key/keyway, put the spacer in and give it a tap to get it in all the way, Push the belt into the rear clutch which opens the belt up and gives room to install the big washer, fixed face, dome washer, nut.
So lets go over that. lol;

The following users liked this post:
Tbogdan (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 91

We have bought a whole new clutch assembly with everything except the starter gear see if that fixes our issues. Seems like adding more peices would make it fit less but we shall see 150 for the whole kit.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Did you look at a parts fiche?

Quick Reply: Lt 80 front clutch won't fit