Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 KQ quit on us again.......

05 KQ700 bone stock 9700kms

new ECM and wiring harness 2 years ago
new TPS last year

hey guys, looking for more advice... or an insurance company that doesn't ask too many questions.....

our old Suzuki has run flawlessly all summer up at the cottage until a couple weeks ago.
dad was riding it back from a neighbors place and she quit. it proceeded to start back up and run about 10-100 feet at a time then quit again all the way back to our place.

so far this is all we know(tools up there are limited, shes now at home in the garage): it seems to start right up then run for a while then quit, can usually make it quit quicker my revving it up, needs a minute or two before it will run again. idles fine, no exhaust smoke, no codes and tps is set correctly.

where should we start with this?? we were thinking fuel pressure test but im not so sure....

any advice is certainly appreciated.

really wanna fix this thing so i can start saving my pennies to buy a Yamaha......

where should we start with this?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 316 Likes on 309 Posts

Clean the injector out. It has a tiny filter inside it that blocks. We blow them out with an airline and it usually cures the problem. Severe cases need a new fuel filter. Suzuki's little joke is where they put it. Electronics under seat off, back plastic off, and fuel tank out, before you can get to it. They didn't even supply new filters for the first couple of years, made you buy a whole new fuel pump/gauge sender unit.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

that wouldn't cause it to constantly run like crap/ hard to start/ not run at all?? like I say it starts and idles beautifully and sometimes revs up fine.... ill be sure to take a look anyways.

probably should've mentioned that we had the tank out last year to inspect the filter and cleaned the injector, before I figured out that the TPS was sticking. both were beautifully clean about 500km ago and this machine is not abused, never sees deep mud and our gas cans are even stored indoors.

will have to clean it and do a pressure test then see where i'm at I suppose.... definitely feeling it is a fuel issue, I tried riding it around the yard and it died as if it was out of gas vs. like hitting the kill switch.

if there's any other common issues that would make this machine act this way i'd love to hear them!

Thanks

Old 09-25-2019, 02:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 316 Likes on 309 Posts

The blocked injector gives exactly the symptoms you describe. It is also worth fitting a new plug. A dodgy plug can cause misfires. Only other known faults are the earth wire to coil burning out. Why, I have no idea, but had it myself on a 700 and then someone else on here had the same thing, I fitted an extra heavy gauge wire from battery to coil, and the wires to engine temperature sender unit breaking, but that does put a code up, and was mostly on 450s, not sure about the 700.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
The blocked injector gives exactly the symptoms you describe. It is also worth fitting a new plug. A dodgy plug can cause misfires. Only other known faults are the earth wire to coil burning out. Why, I have no idea, but had it myself on a 700 and then someone else on here had the same thing, I fitted an extra heavy gauge wire from battery to coil, and the wires to engine temperature sender unit breaking, but that does put a code up, and was mostly on 450s, not sure about the 700.
alight so I guess im definitely starting with the fuel system! no noticeable misfires at any time but I suppose its always worth a new plug!

that other guy was me about 2 years ago, and then the tps last winter and now this... my dads already stopped in at the Yamaha dealer to check out the grizzly.... and its not burnt out this time, first thing I checked when dad pulled in the driveway when it started acting up!!

got the plastics unbolted enough to get at the line on the sending unit to remove and replace with a hose to hook up the pressure gauge. still no code and noticed that if I hit the throttle slowly its fine but if I snap it hard it quits instantly and doesn't start back up for a while. gotta be fuel starvation one way or another

Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

Did a fuel test the other night and the pressure is fine. It also wanted to run properly (of course). Figured the injector problem you described wouldn't cause an intermittent condition.

Was thinking of just throwing a plug and wire at it. Can't trust it without changing some sort of parts..... also hard to test without our other quad home from the cottage to follow with a tow rope.....

Old 09-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

May want to check charging system to if over charging after revved up if charging over 15 to17 volts it could cause cdi to heat up an breakdown an quit if overcharging then faulty voltage regulator.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot but all is good with charging we checked that already.

Just took it to feed the deer and it ran fine the whole time.

So I have a machine that runs fine now and all we have done is check the fuel pressure is make sure the TPS was adjusted correctly and it was.....

Old 04-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

never did get this thing running quite right....

now it seems to run great but has a problem cold starting, it doesn't start cold unless you hit the throttle while cranking. when you do, it fires right up but seems to not idle higher until it starts warming up like its supposed to but runs flawlessly the whole ride.

here's what I've checked: (all these check out)
fuel pressure,
new spark plug,
charging,
battery,
cleaned fuel injector,
adjusted TPS
checked both temp sensors,
cleaned IAC and ensured it moves properly
input voltage at all sensors
machine is freshly serviced with amsoil 10w40

where should I be looking next???

Thanks

Old 04-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

Think I finally figured her out.

Stuck a compression gauge in it today and only saw 60 pounds. One intake valve is tight. Can this cause my starting issues?? What's considered normal? Don't know how much they're supposed to have with the decompressor and all.

Quick Reply: 700 KQ quit on us again.......