Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki lt230 safety neutral switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki lt230 safety neutral switch

I have a 1993 Suzuki lt230e, only way I can get it to start is jumping the solonoid. The neutral light doesn’t come on when the quad is off, once i start it the light comes on and flashes a little. There is a safety feature where the e start button won’t work if the light isn’t on. I believe it doesn’t come on because the safety neutral switch is bad. Is there a way I can jump the safety switch instead of buying a new one. There is 4 wires going into the neutral switch. Thanks

Old 03-19-2022, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 325 Likes on 317 Posts

Don't know that model but if the light comes on once started, it won't be the switch at fault. If the main fuse has blown you won't get battery power but, once running, alternator power will work switches and lights, my guess is that is your problem. Other possibility with those Suzukis which have main fuse on solenoid is, big solenoid terminals fitted the wrong way round, M terminal is for starter motor wire, B terminal is for battery wire.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Don't know that model but if the light comes on once started, it won't be the switch at fault. If the main fuse has blown you won't get battery power but, once running, alternator power will work switches and lights, my guess is that is your problem. Other possibility with those Suzukis which have main fuse on solenoid is, big solenoid terminals fitted the wrong way round, M terminal is for starter motor wire, B terminal is for battery wire.
Fuses are good, the solenoid is on the right way. Is there a way i could disable the feature where the light has to be on for the e start button to work. I don't care about the lights i just need the button because my pull start is also missing. So only way i can start it is jumping the solenoid.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes you can disable the switch but my guess is you are not getting power from the battery for anything except thick wire to solenoid. Check your positive at ignition switch is actually live.

On Eigers you can by-pass the safety lock-out for starter by having the brake light on when you press the start button, even in gear, don't know if it is the same for earlier models.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Yes you can disable the switch but my guess is you are not getting power from the battery for anything except thick wire to solenoid. Check your positive at ignition switch is actually live.

On Eigers you can by-pass the safety lock-out for starter by having the brake light on when you press the start button, even in gear, don't know if it is the same for earlier models.
once I jump the solonoid I can then press the start button to keep the starter going if helps anything. How do I test the wire? I don’t have a meter thing or anything like that

Old 03-21-2022, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I am fairly sure your problem is either main fuse, fuse holder or that short bit of thin positive wire between main fuse and voltage regulator, but if you can't test it you can't fix it. Get someone who can test the system to find the fault for you.