Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Questions about a Zilla

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 01:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the next few days going to buy a LT500 Quadzilla, so I figured i'd just use my brothers name to ask a few questions..

The quad is an acquantance's of mine, and it seems to be in really good shape, It is a 1989 i believe, and has been rebuilt a few times, each time bored out bigger, said its at about 520 now.
First it has a boost bottle. what does that even do? never had a 2 stroke liquid.

it also has reeds, which i do know waht they do, but any maintenance on them?

It has an FMF pipe and silencer also, shocks seem good all around, and all bearings/bushings seem good too.

Any particulular problems i should look for? any precautions i should take?

Should i change the antifreeze? should i run any certain kind of injection oil? What does the boost bottle do?

Any and all information will be appreciated.

it has original seat and plastic no cracks or tears,
looks and runs good,, how much should I pay????

thanks
Jason

Old 05-24-2001, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

check for cracks, my 88' had a very few slight ones in the rear grab bar, but your potenial one sounds pretty good, so you might not need to worry, pull the ign cover off and try to shake the flywheel up and down or side to side, if you can do this, it will require a lower end rebuild, and sometimes, the crank bearings egg out the cases wear the bearings fit in, due to giant rotatonal mass of a 500, if it has this, you might want to over look it, but then again, if your like me, nothings too bad ;-)

Old 05-25-2001, 03:25 AM
Range Rover

Like mentioned above look for those cracks and the fly wheel is a must to check. As for a boost bottle, I have never seen one on a Zilla. I see alot of them on banshees with the twin carbs, this is like a large air plentium and equalizer on these. I also recommend putting the bike up on a stand or crate and shaking the axle back and forth to check for worn out bearings. I would also do the same with the front end and front wheels. If all the bearings are good and everything is in order than somewhere between 2 and 3 grand is about the going rate. I got both of mine in usable condition for 900 bucks each, but they weren't much to look at, but that is what I want because I then spend 5 to 10 grand customizing and hopping up. If you do buy it, yes change the antifreeze and oil in the crank. Use a 50/50 mix on the antifreeze, and use a straight wieght gear luge in the case. Any where between 50 to 80 wieght. Not to many people other that myself want to work on it before you ride it but it is well worth it. If I were you I would pull out the axle and a-arm bearings and either grease them as need or replace them if they are bad, if they go bad and you keep going you will end up buying more expensive parts. Oh and by the way does he have the Title, if not call the numbers in before you buy and make sure the name you get is the same name as the person you are buying from. Either way get something in writting.

Old 05-25-2001, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

the rear bearings are a part that should be checked out. they have no grease zerks so chances are they are in bad condition unless he replaced them.

Old 05-25-2001, 05:00 AM
Range Rover

well the quad has original plastic on it, and I know the owner, who had it since new. I don't know about the boost bottle, but I will check into it..

2 years ago he had top and bottom end rebuild, and since then only 10 hours he says.... I checked the rear swingarm and carrier bearings..all seem good.. front wheels seem tight, brakes look good all around... Will check for crack and vibration in flywheel....

I am buying it for 1800 dollars, with an extra set of rims and tires.... everything works and it looks honestly like its maybe 2 years old.. very well taken care of.. says he changed the oil in crank every 10 times out at least, and I don't know about the antifreeze.. and only ran premium oil in it.. so I'd say its worth it then!!!..

thanks guys.
Jason

Old 05-25-2001, 05:03 AM
Range Rover

Pennzilla...

I'm just like you.. I make sure everything is all good and in running condition before I drive it....

I'm on my 4th used quad now... Blaster, and 2 warriors...

now the zilla.. and still have the warrior..

So thanks for the input.. i'll direct any questions I have to you..
thanks
Jason

Old 06-03-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I bought mine for $1500, rode it for approx. 2hrs, lost the grab bar,(found it the next day), blew a head gasket, developed a leak in the radiator, shredded the rear tires(dry rotted), and had the coil fall off(electrical taped to the frame), and fouled a plug. I brought it home from the pit and started strippin it. It NEEDS front and rear brakes, bushings, and bearings, tires, a little welding on the frame, new cables and controls, front fenders, and probably shocks. It looked good when I first went to check it out, but it might have been my excitement for finding a 'zilla. The motor has been modified so that the old owner hit 98mph at the icedrags(has slips to prove it), but I wouldn't dare go that fast on it. So now I'm doin' my own version of "Sandtraxx" and am building my dream quad. But sounds like you found a helluva good quad for $1800.....wish I was you!!

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2001, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

Are you sure that you haven't mistaken a Roost Boost for a Boost Bottle? The Roost Boost was an aftermarket electrical component said to increase the spark output. Boost Bottles are VERY rarely put onto single cylinder machines and I have never seen this option for a 'Zilla.

Since the LT500 has no oil injector, I would suggest you not buy injector oil or even dual purpose injector/premix oil. For best results use oil designed specifically for premixing. I use Klotz R50 synthetic at 40:1. The Klotz gives you the added benefit of a racing smell like no other and gets everyones attention (especially since everyone will be BEHIND THE 'ZILLA).