Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

13 more questions before I go......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, before I head back out on the road for another month or so, I have a few more questions about the 87 quadzilla. How strong are the square framed A-arms? I've never been known to launch a quad off a very steep jump or anything, just 5-6 footers. And how about the shocks? I plan on rebuilding the rear , but how bought the front two? What would yall recommend for a new pipe/silencer? It had an old FMF but I tossed it, and was wondering about FMF's SST pipe....any thoughts? What about a reed cage? The FMF in it seems outdated compared to a new Delta V-force. How much would a good 88 jug go for, approx? Is that the only way to cure the headgasket problems? And who makes cool graphics for this thing? And does maier make dark blue shrouds? And lastly, were could I find all the "little" stuff? I have a Dennis Kirk catalog and a Rocky MTN catalog, but they don't seem to have EVERYTHING...damn near though...And does cascade make all the cool billet stuff for the QR500 like they do for the Banshee? Thanx for any input, and if any one has any tips or tricks for a complete overhaul(Pennzilla?)please share...If I don't respond for a month or so, its because I don't have a computer in my truck yet and have to wait to get back home.....But thanx alot..I do appreciate it....

Old 06-04-2001, 04:46 PM
Range Rover

The upper a-arms are very stronger, and if you happen to need some I got some. If you want to run aftermarket arms you will have to do what my friend Dragginzilla from vegas did and custom install them because the 87 is the only year to have this. As for the reed cage last I looked v-force didn't make them for the 87, however the 87 reed cage area is slightly bigger then the rest anyway. I know a new 88 jug goes for about 300 bucks and you will have to either buy a new power valve, eliminate it all toghter, or use yours. As for pipes I use the FMF in the woods, becuase it has a spark arrestor and fits well. In the dunes I recommend the CT outlaw pipe. For shocks go with works dual rates with rezzy's they are about 450 bucks and work real well for riding. I have had 4 Zilla's all 87 and I have never once blown a head gasket, I do understand it does happen but check your head torque once in a while. As for beefing it up, there are several fixes. First have oversized studs installed, these hold the torque better, second you can have the head o-ringed, or I use a copper head gasket with a cool head. Both the 0-ring and the copper gaskets are reusable but the copper one does require some 3bond 1104 sealant when installing it. I also use a flex steel base gasket because I build so much pressure that when hammering it in the dunes I would blow the jug gasket out. And for the billet stuff the answer is no the only thing casscade makes is gas caps for us zilla guys, however rpm, makes billet brake and rotor hubs, and axle lock nuts, alloy specialties makes a trick thumb throttle cover and they will even custom engrave it for you. If you want their websites let me know I will get them out of my book, or other laptop. Ricky Stator's Illuminator lights are bright as hell, small and look awesome and they are all billet and use track light bulbs you can get from home depot, I have them on almost every quad we have because we only need one kind for each bike they are 10 time brighter than stock plus if you need one on a sunday you can get it.

Old 06-04-2001, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Unless you plan to pound the living **** out of your bike for long periods of time, don't waist your money on reservoirs for those Works shocks. I have had Works on mine for three years now and have never felt the need for reservoirs. They are only needed if the shocks will be used to the point of overheating (most people never do). You can save yourself over $100 by doing without and they can always be added later.

As Pennzilla knows, for rebuilding tricks and tips, go to Tudorsperformance.com and click into "Quadzilla Born Again" (I may be a little off on the name but you will find it). This info and of course a service manual are all you will need.

Old 06-05-2001, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

Well as for the rezzy's if the 100 bucks won't hurt the budget I do recommend them for the setup. They also prolong the service life of your shocks. I had no rezzy's on the first zilla and they worked great, when I added the rezzies I did notice that when we ride for a long period of time I had less fade in the shocks. As for the quadzilla reborn, most of that work is not being done by Jeff Tudor, it is being done my Ed (mrdune), and offroad.com. Jeff Tudor is a good friend of mine and has been very busy lately, his father pasted a few months ago and he is just now getting back to full speed, what I am saying is his expertise is worth the wait but just make sure you can wait that long. As for the quadzilla reborn, I have not even looked that site in about a year since Ed started posting it because I don't care for his "I don't care attitude" but it never hurts to look and see what others are doing, I do almost all my own work from what I have learned, and destroyed since the first zilla in 87. I leave the major machining to people like Jeff, but the rest is up to me.

Old 06-05-2001, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, thanks a lot, guys!! I dropped my frame off at my uncle's saturday and he's gonna replace some of the "already been replaced" tubing to make it look good as new for me, then my other uncle's gonna sandblast it so it'll be ready for paintin' when I get back. I did find that "Quadzilla Reborn", but I got to through fourwheeler.com and printed the entire thing out to take w/ me. I'm sure it'll come in handy. I also think its pretty humurous, since I feel the same way about my quads previus owner(Mr. Squid Jr.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) My friends gonna order and pick up all the susp. parts for me(bushings, bearings, seals, tie-rods, balljoints) so I can just pay him back when I return, and will hopefully have everthing needed to get a "rolling chassis" completed. Also, tha A-rms and swingarm are in real good shape. Oh, 1 more?....Do the after market grab bars have the seat support bars? I'm thinkin I need a shiny alum. one for the rear. Once again, thanx for everything....

Old 06-05-2001, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

yes the aluminum grab bars have the brakets to mount your suports to, however they do tend to bend down a little from time to time and you will have to either tap them back up or use a cresent wrench to pull them back up. It is really no big deal and you do save a bunch of wieght because of that big steel section that is on there now is heavy. I have a DG on one Zilla and an armadilo 6 pack aluminum one on the other and both have the brackets.

Old 06-06-2001, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

I have an Armadillo Out back rack. It is a 6 pack + 1 gallon gas tank rack. It is a neat idea but they don't really leave you with a nice way to strap either one down. Perhaps the DG 6 pack rack is better in this department. Other than that one complaint I am satisfied. Much lighter than the stocker!